Stokes Waives Hearing in Aggravated Assault Case

CLEARFIELD – A Curwensville man is facing charges for a violent outburst during centralized court earlier this month at the Clearfield County Jail.

Michael A. Stokes, 51, was in court Aug. 7 for a preliminary hearing on charges of terroristic threats and simple assault, both misdemeanors, and disorderly conduct, a summary.

Online court records indicate both misdemeanor charges were withdrawn on Aug. 14, and that the case was moved to non-traffic.

According to the affidavit of probable cause in this case, at approximately 12:45 a.m. April 23, a 302 warrant for Stokes was delivered to Clearfield-based state police.

A written statement from the victim included in the warrant paperwork alleged that Stokes grabbed, choked and threatened to kill her at his residence in Curwensville Borough.

At approximately 1:30 a.m., Trooper Emerson H. Miller spoke with the victim who confirmed all the details contained within the paperwork were accurate.

Stokes was arraigned on the charges later that same day and his preliminary hearing was originally scheduled for May 1 but was continued for three months.

On Aug. 7, a one-week continuance was requested and then granted by Magisterial District Judge Mike Morris. Stokes’ hearing was rescheduled for 10:15 a.m. Aug. 14.

Online court records also indicate that Morris changed Stokes’ bail type from $25,000 unsecured to monetary following a bail hearing to have him incarcerated.

According to the affidavit in the new case, Morris’ decision made Stokes “very angry,” and he threw the defense table where he had been seated toward Morris, who was standing in front of it.

Miller approached Stokes and ordered him to the ground, which he refused. Stokes then allegedly turned and shoved Morris back toward the overturned defense table.

Stokes proceeded around Miller to overturn the prosecution’s table on the opposite side of the hearing room, which prompted the trooper to deploy his taser to stop Stokes’ violent actions.

Miller said Stokes had to be taken to the ground by officers and he refused their commands to put his arms behind his back. After a brief struggle, Stokes was secured and escorted out.

In the new case, Stokes is being charged with felony aggravated assault, misdemeanor simple assault, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct and summary harassment.

Stokes waived his right to a preliminary hearing Wednesday during centralized court at the jail. His bail remains set at $5,000 monetary.

PennDOT Enhances 511PA for Labor Day, Penn State Football Travel Planning
Sloan Found Not Guilty of Assaulting DuBois Woman

Leave a Reply