Bailey Back in Court in Chase Anderson Murder Case

Denny Scott Bailey (Provided photo)

CLEARFIELD – One of two men charged with homicide for the murder of Chase Anderson was back in court Thursday.

In the summer of 2017, police were looking for Anderson, who had been reported missing by his family. His burnt body was eventually recovered in a remote section of Pike Township in late August that year.

Police were led to the body by Kenja Kasheem Tew, 24, who had been telling people that Anderson wasn’t coming back.

In April of 2018, Tew and Denny Scott Bailey, 39, of Woodland were both charged with criminal homicide, assault, kidnap to inflict terror, conspiracy and related offenses.

During a preliminary hearing, investigators said Tew and Bailey’s versions of the events were similar in that they both said they took Anderson to the area and fought with him before killing him.

Tew claimed Bailey slit Anderson’s throat and burned the body while Bailey said it was Tew, who stabbed Anderson and poured gas on his body.

On Thursday a hearing was held to discuss over a dozen motions filed by Bailey’s attorneys regarding the case that included asking the judge to bar the Commonwealth from seeking the death penalty, to suppress evidence, for a change in venue for the trial and sequester the jurors during the expected two-week trial.

Another of the motions dealt with the conditions of his incarceration. Bailey testified himself about his problems at the county jail.

Bailey explained that since his arrest in August of 2017 originally for a probation violation, he has spent most of his time in isolation.

He claimed that the warden at the jail, Greg Collins, had coerced him into speaking to investigators by not allowing him to make phone calls or have visits until he told police “the truth.”

On Aug. 31 of 2018, Bailey stated that his “situation changed” and from then on, any time he leaves his cell he has to be handcuffed and shackled even while he is showering or out in the yard.

He is unable to exercise or wash himself completely, he said.

Bailey also complained that he is not receiving his medication as prescribed by his psychiatrist and is not taken regularly for his monthly medical treatment for an immune deficiency.

Attorney Joe Ryan, who is representing Bailey, asked him if he has seen any doctor for his mental health conditions since he has been in prison.

Bailey replied no, and stated that his psychiatric medication has never been re-evaluated by another physician and he is not getting what he was prescribed.

When Ryan asked him to describe what is like to be in isolation, Bailey said: “your thoughts are not your own” and you hear things that are not there.

“I don’t think I will ever recover,” Bailey said.

He is unable to discuss anything with anyone including the loss of a family member and has no television.  “Basically, I just read and sleep.”

Collins, who testified for the prosecution, explained Bailey was in isolation for security reasons and his own safety. Bailey is not popular with the other inmates, many of whom know Anderson’s father.

The decision to put him in isolation came after they spoke with the other inmates and none of them wanted him in their cell block.

District Attorney William A. Shaw Jr. asked Collins what changed in August of 2018 to require Bailey be kept handcuffed when not in his cell.

There was an incident in the library when Bailey did not want to leave, Collins stated. Bailey had to be restrained and he head-butted one of the corrections officers.

The incident was caught on surveillance video, which Shaw showed as part of his presentation.

In the silent video, Bailey could be seen throwing books at the CO that was with him in the library. Soon other officers arrived to back him up and they all tried to restrain Bailey, who had to be taken to the floor.

After they got control of him, they let him up and he was seen head-butting one of them in the mouth.

Collins stated that Bailey was also written up for disrespecting the COs, not listening and for throwing water on them.

When asked about him restricting Bailey’s phone calls until he spoke to police, Collins stated that Bailey was allowed to make calls and have visits and he denied restricting his communication, except for with his co-defendants.

He also said Bailey is taken for his treatments monthly and he had not missed an appointment as far as he is aware.

However, Collins stated it is difficult to arrange these trips due to security issues with Bailey and the appointments are sometimes “staggered.”

He also said Bailey gets his medication as the jail physician has prescribed.

He denied threatening or coercing Bailey to speak to investigators and said Bailey was the one who requested several interviews with police.

During his cross examination, Ryan asked if in the library incident, the CO who was injured was yelling at Bailey to which Collins replied: “I think they all were.”

Ryan asked when Bailey’s requirement of being shackled and handcuffed would end and Collins responded that it is his decision and at this point it is indefinite.

Ryan pointed out that Bailey’s co-defendant, Chantell Demi, was kept in the general population, but the female inmates had no problem with her.

(Demi is charged with conspiracy, tampering with evidence and for burning the vehicle used to transport Anderson.)

His other co-defendant, Tew, is also being kept isolated for similar reasons.

Ryan questioned whether having Bailey being shackled/handcuffed for showering and exercise was a good idea for someone for an extended amount of time.

Collins stated that Bailey should be able to wash himself because others have been able to do it.

During his re-direct, Shaw asked if Bailey smelled and Collins said no, and Shaw noted that he must be able to shower.

Ryan countered this, by asking Collins if he had actually seen Bailey shower, and he said no.

Ryan also asked if it were true that Demi got into fights and actually broke someone’s nose.

Collins agreed she did, but said this was under different circumstances and she was put in lock-down after this.

Trooper David Patrick of the state police testified that each time he spoke with Bailey he reviewed his rights and Bailey signed a waiver form. One of these interviews was ended after Bailey asked for an attorney.

These interviews were scheduled at Bailey’s request and he never mentioned to Patrick that he was being threatened or intimidated by Collins.

At the completion of testimony, Ryan stated that the other issues raised in the defense motions involve legal issues and can be handled in briefs.

Judge Fredric J. Ammerman gave the defense 45 days to submit these briefs and the Commonwealth 30 days after that to respond.

Ammerman will review these briefs before issuing any decisions.

At this time, Bailey’s trial is still on the court schedule for October.

Tax Credit Seminar Attracts Regional Attention
3 Clearfield Borough Police Officers Receive Promotion

Leave a Reply