GRAMPIAN – The Grampian Lions Club began its summer picnic meetings recently at Thorp Ball Field with the installation of the 2019-20 officers. New officers will assume their duties beginning July 1.
New officers are President Scott Bennett; Vice President Stephanie Johnson; Second Vice President John Bunnell; Third Vice President Gary Verrelli; Secretary Phyllis Turns; Treasurer Kirk Thorp; Lion Tamer Tucker Bell; Tail Twister Dave Turns; Directors Linda Henry and Dan Dimmick, both one year; and Directors Tucker Bell and Jim Bennett, both two years.
During its meeting, the club:
- announced its Harold “Bunk” Wriglesworth Memorial Scholarship recipients for 2019. Curwensville graduates Megan Young and Mikayla Puzzuto both were awarded $500.
- discussed its upcoming chicken barbecue that’s being held from 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. June 27 during the Grampian Homecoming Celebration. Meals will be available for $8 for adults and $4 for children. It will also announce its Citizen of the Year immediately following the barbecue.
- noted its participation in the Mint Condition Strawberry Festival. Club members offered free kid’s games with prizes.
- noted receipt of thank you messages for its recent donations made to Relay for Life, Curwensville Public Library, Leader Dog for the Blind and Lions Club International Foundation.
- noted receipt of a letter of appreciation for its continued participation in PennDOT’s Adopt-A-Highway clean-up program.
- noted a member’s recognition by the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) and Internal Revenue Service for 20 years of volunteerism in the tax aide program.
- learned of the purchase of two storage sheds that have been located behind the Grampian Fire Hall. Members would like to thank everyone who supported and or helped out with this project.
The club’s next picnic meeting will be at 6:30 p.m. July 9 at Thorp Ball Field. For more information, please call 814-277-6841 or 814-236-3755; or you can visit the club on Facebook.