CLEARFIELD – Entries are now being accepted for the Clearfield County Fair Queen Contest that’s being held Sunday, July 28.
The purpose is to select the 2019 fair queen, plus her first, second, third and fourth runners-up from this pool of contestants.
The queen and her court will represent the Clearfield County Fair and Clearfield County for one year.
The contest will take center stage at 4 p.m. July 28; however, it will actually begin much earlier with the submission of an essay titled: “What My Fair Means to My Community.”
Contest day will start in the morning with the personal interview. Then, on stage there will be the timed, three- to five- minute speech on “Why You Should Come to My Fair.”
The on-stage contest will conclude with the evening gown/personal introduction competition.
The Queen’s Committee’s first contestant meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 18 at the Expo II Building at the Clearfield County Fairgrounds, and it’s to familiarize the young women with contest guidelines and the program.
Contestants will then write their personal essay and submit it to the fair office, so it may be forwarded to the judges for scoring.
A second meeting will be held Tuesday, July 2 to allow the contestants to work on their personal introduction, speech, etc., as well as to obtain advice from the committee.
However, the Queen’s Program is much more than a contest. This program was developed to help young women to realize their potential, build toward a better future, become an active part of their community and learn about agriculture, Pennsylvania’s number one industry.
The young women who have participated in the Queen’s Program gained benefits, such as:
- boosted self-confidence;
- enhanced writing skills;
- enhanced public speaking skills;
- networking opportunities with local and state officials;
- an enhanced resume;
- gained knowledge of Clearfield County;
- gained knowledge of agriculture;
- impacting the lives of young women;
- becoming a role model; and
- becoming experienced with organizing and running events.
The entire competition contest consists of:
- a written essay titled: “What My Fair Means to My Community” (300 words or less).
- a personal interview. Each contestant will meet alone with the panel of three judges.
- a speech presentation titled: “Why You Should Come to My Fair.” (three to five minutes; this is a timed event).
- an evening gown competition with personal introduction. This segment is conducted on the main stage in front of the grandstand following the speech presentations. Each contestant will make a personal introduction to the audience, and it’s similar to that which a fair queen would give while visiting a fair or other public event. The contestant will have approximately 15 seconds to make this introduction.
After the competition, the 2019 Clearfield County Fair Queen and Court will:
- attend and participate in events/activities throughout fair week.
- represent the Clearfield County Fair at events and appearances as approved by the Queen’s Committee.
- promote greater public understanding, awareness and interest in Pennsylvania agriculture and the Clearfield County Fair.
- be actively involved in raising funds for Queens for a Cause, benefiting Children’s Miracle Network and local charities, as well as with assisting local charitable organizations upon request.
Entry forms are available on the fair’s official Web site, www.clearfieldcountyfair.com, or at the fair office.
Entry forms are due to the fair office no later than June 18, or they can be turned in at the first contestant meeting that same day.
Please feel free to attend the first meeting to learn more about the competition before making the commitment to compete.
For questions or to request an entry form, please e-mail email@example.com.