PHILIPSBURG – Philipsburg’s three leading historic sites, the Old Union Church (Mud Church) on East Presqueisle Street, the John Henry Simler House at the corner of Laurel and Second streets and the Philipsburg Historical Museum at 206 No. Front St., (Moshannon Building, Room 316) will be open during the following hours for Memorial Day Weekend:
Saturday, May 25, 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- All three sites will be open for guided tours.
Sunday, May 26, 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Military honors will be held for veterans in the Union Churchyard, followed by a memorial service in the Union Church (Old Mud Church). In case of rain, military honors and the service will be held at First Presbyterian Church.
- The other sites will be closed so that all may attend events at the Union Church.
Monday, May 27, 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Union Church will be open for guided tours.
- Simler House and Historical Museum will be open for tours from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
The summer hours for all three sites, through Labor Day weekend, will be from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. Sundays. In addition, the Historical Museum will be open from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. Thursdays.
A feature exhibit at the Historical Museum will be the large oil painting of a World War I doughboy.
It’s being highlighted this year in honor of the 100th anniversary of the founding of the American Legion and of local Legion Post 437, named in honor of Pvt. John Ashley Dennis Jr. of Chester Hill, who died June 8, 1918, as a result of wounds received in the battle of Belleau Wood June 6, 1919.