Aqua Pennsylvania recommends that all customers take the following steps ahead of the severe winter weather:
- Make sure to have a supply of heat tape and pipe insulation, as well as a portable space heater and a hair dryer on hand.
- Locate and visibly mark the home’s master water valve. In the event that a pipe does break, use this value to turn off water to the home.
- Make sure the lids on outdoor meter pits are not broken or missing.
- Shut off and drain any outside faucets including those for lawn sprinkling systems.
- Prevent drafts in unheated areas, such as crawl spaces or basements, by replacing broken glass or making other repairs.
Aqua Pennsylvania also advises customers to take the following precautions in any unheated areas of their homes when temperatures drop below freezing:
- Wrap pipes with insulation material or heat tape. Wrap indoor water meters with a blanket. Proper and safe use of portable space heaters can also keep exposed pipes in drafty areas from freezing.