Chase Anderson Murder Suspect to Undergo Mental Health Examination

Denny Scott Bailey (Provided photo)

CLEARFIELD – One of three people charged with the murder of Chase Anderson of Curwensville is going to receive a mental health examination.

In April, Denny Scott Bailey, 38, Woodland was charged with criminal homicide, kidnap to inflict terror, conspiracy and related charges in connection with Anderson’s death.

Anderson was reported missing by his mother in August of 2017, but the investigation took a sad turn after Kenja Kasheem Tew, 23, allegedly made comments to witnesses that Anderson was “not coming back.”

Once Tew was in custody, he led police to Anderson’s burnt body in a wooded part of Pike Township.

Testimony at the preliminary hearing revealed that Tew and Bailey lured Anderson to the remote area and then fought with him. Each of them claimed the other stabbed Anderson and burned the body.

Anderson suffered multiple stab wounds, his throat was slit and his nose was fractured, according to testimony from former County Coroner Mike Morris.

Chantell Renee Demi, 27, Woodland was charged for her involvement because she allegedly purchased duct tape and garbage bags for the crime.

Once Bailey was incarcerated, he instructed Demi to destroy the vehicle or as she said make it “go kaboom,” according to testimony.

Bailey’s case was discussed in court on Wednesday before President Judge Fredric J. Ammerman.

District Attorney William A. Shaw Jr. had filed a motion for Bailey to have a mental health examination. One of the reasons for this, according to court documents, is that this will be a death penalty case.

Ammerman granted the motion after Attorney Joseph Ryan, who is representing Bailey, said he had no objection but wanted experts for both sides to have an opportunity to evaluate him at the same time.

Discussion on Ryan’s omnibus pre-trial motion to suppress evidence, and a change of venue was also scheduled to be discussed, but this was continued to a later date.

According to the actual motion, during his original interview with police, Bailey asked for counsel. The questioning stopped but began later without an attorney in violation of his right to counsel.

Bailey claims “he was coerced into said interviews by Warden Greg Collins” of the Clearfield County Jail, who told Bailey he would remain “locked down” until he spoke with law enforcement.

“Under such duress, defendant requested to speak to law enforcement,” according to the paperwork.

The motion goes on to state that Bailey’s waiver of counsel was not voluntary and asks that any statements made by Bailey in that interview be suppressed.

The next part of the motion asks for a change of venue due to the amount of press done on the case.

The excessive coverage means Bailey “cannot receive a fair and impartial jury in Clearfield County,” according to court documents.

An additional point in the motion asks for the jurors to be sequestered during the trial, which is scheduled to last three weeks, because of the expected news coverage.

Paperwork in Bailey’s file indicates jury selection at this point, is scheduled for March 18.

Tew’s case is still pending, while Demi signed a plea agreement in July and is scheduled to be sentenced in January.  She has also filed a motion to withdraw that plea.

Her plea deal includes a second case in which she is charged with reckless burning, criminal conspiracy and tampering with evidence for allegedly destroying the vehicle used to transport Anderson to the wooded location where he died.

She was allegedly assisted by Joseph Ralston, 38, Curwensville, who faces charges of reckless burning, three counts of criminal conspiracy and tampering with evidence. His case is still pending.

Sankey Appointed Deputy Chairman of House Majority Policy Committee
Throwback Thursday: Shipping Logs by Rail at Kerrmoor

Leave a Reply