CLEARFIELD – A CodeRED mass notification system will make the public aware of roadway closures, weather and hazardous conditions and other major incidents in Clearfield County.
The commissioners approved implementation of the system Tuesday at the request of Emergency Services Director Joe Bigar and Deputy Director Planning Daniel Spencer.
For example, Bigar said Interstate 80 was recently closed down for quite some time. He said with CodeRED, any registered user would have been notified of the closure and to take an alterative route.
“CodeRED will give us a leg up,” said Spencer, who will be tasked with its implementation. “Most people nowadays get their breaking news via Facebook, Twitter or some other social media.
“With CodeRED … we will be able to get an instant alert out to everyone (who’s signed up) in one controlled message coming from officials. It’s a major advantage to us and it’s a major advantage to the citizens.”
In other business, the commissioners:
- approved a settlement agreement between the County Commissioners Association of Pennsylvania (CCAP) and Avanco that stemmed from an apparent data breach. CCAP had requested the affected counties to approve the settlement.
- approved the 2018 State Homeland Security Grant agreement with the North Central Task Force Region at the request of Bigar.
- approved to advertise for court reporting services.
- approved purchase of service agreements with the Children’s Aid Society, Child Advocacy Center of Clearfield County, Appalachian Youth Services Inc., Life Span Family Services, The Bair Foundation and Project Point of Light.
- authorized the chairman to execute a lease agreement with EJS Real Estate LLC for the office of Magisterial District Judge James Glass.
- approved the appointment of Tyler Hicks to the Clearfield County Conservation District.
- approved a copier lease with Doing Better Business for a copier to be used in the sheriff’s office.
- approved the following new hires: Tequila Gardner, part-time Corrections Officer/Jail, effective Oct. 29; Tiffany Wells, part-time CO/Jail, effective Nov. 5; and Kelly Livergood, Secretary II/Jail, effective Nov. 8.
- approved the following employee transfer: Gidget Spencer, Department Clerk II/Prothonotary to Deputy Prothonotary for Prothonotary/Clerk of Courts, effective Oct. 30.
- approved the following employee separations/retirements: Roger Moore, part-time CO/Jail, effective Oct. 31, and Michael Burgeson, 911 Telecommunicator/911, effective Nov. 16.