CLEARFIELD – The Presbyterian Church of Clearfield will be celebrating its 200th anniversary on Sunday. It was congratulated by the Clearfield County Commissioners during Tuesday’s meeting.
According to church history, it was first organized in 1818, having originally consisted of small groups of worshipers who met in private homes and places of public gathering.
The church’s first clergy were circuit ministers who traveled throughout Pennsylvania on horseback and on sleigh. However, its membership continued to grow.
In 1818, there is a record showing Hugh Jordan and Archibald Shaw being ordained and installed as ruling elders. The church was more definite in 1825 when the Rev. Gary Bishop was “called” to be the pastor of the church in 1826 through 1834.
The first church erected in 1841; however, it was removed in 1867 to build the new stone church. It was dedicated in 1869 and the cost exceeded $41,000. The church was known for its 150-foot steeple that was the highest in the community.
“The Presbyterian Church of Clearfield has ministered to the spiritual and social needs of its congregation and community since that time,” Commissioner John A. Sobel, chair, read from a county proclamation.
“The Presbyterian Church has also been a source of leadership to our nation, state and community, having provided from its congregations a governor of Pennsylvania, two U.S. Senators and numerous other state and local officials, both elected and appointed.
“The Presbyterian Church continues to be a force for the betterment of our county … We hereby issue this proclamation congratulating the Presbyterian Church on its 200th year and recognizing Sept. 9 as its anniversary day.”
The congregation will hold a bicentennial celebration at 10 a.m. Sunday at the church, located at 119 N. Second St., Clearfield. The service will be followed by a catered dinner.