STATE COLLEGE – The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) is alerting drivers that they could encounter delays as they travel to Centre County for Penn State home football games this fall. The season opener is Saturday, at 3:30 p.m. versus Appalachian State.
PennDOT encourages drivers to “Know before they go” and to check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting www.511PA.com.
511PA is free, available 24 hours a day, and provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information, and access to more than 860 traffic cameras.
More specifically, fans can expect the following restrictions—based on their starting locations:
From the Harrisburg area:
- On Route 283 in southeastern Dauphin County, there are lane restrictions (one lane each direction) between the Pennsylvania Turnpike and Route 341 (Toll House Road). This is about a six-mile stretch.
- On Route 322 in Centre County, there is a crossover from Decker Valley Road to Sand Mountain Road, with one lane available in each direction. This area is about a mile east of the village of Potters Mills. This area also features a 13-foot width restriction.
From the Altoona area:
- On I-99 there is potential for lane closures from Altoona 17th Street/mile-marker 33 to near Pinecroft/mile-marker 37 and from Bellwood/mile-marker 41 to Tipton/mile-marker 45. Both work zones have 16-foot width restrictions. Road work expected to end Nov. 8.
- On I-99, there is potential for lane closures at the Tyrone bridge/mile-marker 48, with a 14-foot width restriction. Bridge work expected to end Oct. 5. Speed reduced to 55 mph in these work zones. Please allow for extra travel time.
From the Williamsport area:
- On Route 15, there are lane restrictions (one lane each direction) at Winfield in Union County, along with a 14-foot width restriction.
- On Route 26, there is a new traffic signal at the end of the I-80 westbound off-ramp at the Bellefonte/161 exit. This is a traffic pattern change that should alleviate major congestion and back-ups on I-80 westbound as traffic approaches the Bellefonte exit.
From western PA:
- On I-80 eastbound, there is potential for lane closures from Emlenton/mile-marker 42 to Knox/mile-marker 53. There are also 12-foot width restrictions. Paving expected to end Sept. 23. Bridge work expected to end Oct. 23. Speed reduced to 60 mph in these work zones. Please allow for extra travel time.
After Labor Day, lane restrictions will be in place for eastbound traffic across the Moshannon Creek bridge at mile-marker 141 in Centre County. This restriction will remain through early October.
In State College:
- For Labor Day weekend, North Atherton Street will have two lanes open for traffic in each direction from North Hills Place to Cherry Lane. The center lane remains closed and no left turns will be allowed.
PennDOT reminds drivers that 511PA offers them up-to-date information on most roads across the state, allowing them to plan before heading out. 511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA Web site.
For regional updates on Twitter, follow www.twitter.com\511PAStateCOLL.