Whispering Pines was established in 1928 originally as an amusement park.
Situated on Route 53 about a half-mile from the Allport Cemetery, Whispering Pines was in a large grove of trees established by Howard Fuge of Allport.
Mr. Fuge operated a small store with one gasoline pump, added a playground and carried a wide variety of items such as ice cream, (which was rare at this time), candy and convenience grocery items.
Square dancing with local orchestras and bands were held here and many clubs held their annual picnics and reunions at the Whispering Pines.
It was a highlight of the area and immensely popular in its heyday. The park continued into the 1960s.
When Mr. Fuge died in 1962, his wife Alice Merrow Fuge operated it until 1972 when she rented it out to new managers. It closed in 1982.
The late columnist Catherine Wrye wrote about her memories of Whispering Pines in the Oct. 6, 1984 issue of The Progress.
In it she quoted from an advertising brochure: “Electric lighted Whispering Pines, phone 17R3, on highway 53. Newly remodeled, Picnic Lunch in the shade of 1000 white pine trees.
“Accommodations for 400 people, both on the grounds and in the pavilion. All new sanitary tables and benches. Plenty of amusements for the children with our playground equipment.
“New 20-foot swings, gymnasium set, chair swings for babies, three-set trapeze and rings, 30–foot slide for adults, horseshoe pitching and tennis court. A two-room cottage.”