CLEARFIELD – The Clearfield County Fair Queen Contest is now accepting entries for the upcoming contest to be held Sunday, July 29.
The purpose of the contest is to select the 2018 Clearfield County Fair Queen, first runner-up, second runner-up, third runner-up and fourth runner-up from the group of contestants. The court will represent the Clearfield County Fair and Clearfield County for one year.
The Clearfield County Fair Queen Contest will take center stage Sunday, July 29 at 4 p.m. However, the contest actually begins in July with the submission of an essay on “What my Fair Means to My Community.”
The contest day, Sunday, July 29, starts in the morning with the personal interview. Then, on stage is the three- to five-minute speech on “Why You Should Come to My Fair.”
The contest concludes on stage with the evening gown/personal introduction.
The Queen’s committee’s first contestant meeting is Tuesday, June 26 at 6 p.m. at the Expo II Building at the Clearfield County Fairgrounds to familiarize them with the guidelines of the competition and the program.
Contestants will then need to write their essay and submit it to the Fair Office so it may be forwarded to the judges for scoring.
A second meeting will be held Tuesday, July 10 to allow the contestants to work on their bio introduction, speech and obtain advice from the committee.
The Queen Program is much more than a contest. This program was developed to assist young women to realize their potential, build towards a better future, become an active part of their community and learn about agriculture, Pennsylvania’s No. 1 industry.
The young women who have participated in the Queen Program gained such benefits as:
- a boost in self-confidence,
- enhanced writing skills,
- enhanced public speaking skills,
- great networking opportunities with local and state officials,
- an enhanced resume,
- an increase in knowledge of Clearfield County,
- an increase in knowledge of agriculture,
- having a positive impact on the lives of young women,
- becoming a role model and
- experience in organizing and running events;
The entire contest consists of:
- a written essay on the topic “What My Fair Means to My Community” (300 words or less).
- a personal interview during which each contestant will meet alone with the panel of three judges.
- a speech presentation on the topic “Why You Should Come to My Fair.” (three- to five-minutes; timed event)
- an evening gown/introduction. This segment is conducted on the main stage in front of the grandstand following the speech presentations. Each contestant makes a personal introduction to the audience, similar to that which a fair queen would give when visiting a fair or other public event. The contestant has approximately 15 seconds to make this introduction.
After the contest, the 2018 Clearfield County Fair Queen and Court will serve in the following capacities and:
- attend and participate in events/activities throughout fair week.
- represent the Clearfield County Fair at events and appearances as approved by the Queen’s Committee.
- promote greater public understanding, awareness and interest in Pennsylvania agriculture and the Clearfield County Fair.
- be actively involved in raising funds for Queens for a Cause, benefiting Children’s Miracle Network and local charities, as well as assisting local charitable organizations upon request.
Entry forms are available on the fair Web site, www.clearfieldcountyfair.com, or at the Fair Office. Entry forms are due to the fair office no later than June 26 or they can be turned in at the first contestant meeting on Tuesday, June 26.
Please feel free to attend the first meeting to learn more about the contest before committing to compete.
For questions, or to request an entry form, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.