PHILIIPSBURG – Philipsburg’s three leading historic sites: the Old Union Church on East Presqueisle Street; the John Simler House at the corner of Laurel and Second streets; and the Philipsburg Historical Museum at 206 N. Front St., (Moshannon Building, Room 316) will be open over Memorial Day weekend.
The hours will be as follows:
Saturday, May 26, 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
All three sites will be open for guided tours.
Sunday May 27, 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Military honors will be held for veterans in the Union Churchyard followed by a memorial service in the Union Church and a free luncheon with homemade desserts at the American Legion Hall, at the corner of Presqueisle and North Centre streets.
In case of rain, military honors and the service will be held at First Presbyterian Church. Other sites will be closed so that all may attend the events at the Union Church.
Monday May 28, 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.
The Union Church will be open for guided tours. The Simler House and Historical Museum will be open for tours from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
The summer hours for all three sites will be Sundays from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. In addition, the Historical Museum will be open Thursdays from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
A feature exhibit at the Historical Museum will be the large, poster-size service record of Spanish-American veteran Jacob J. Spotts, donated by his family.
The service record consists of about 10 colored scenes of the Spanish-American War of 1898, such as Admiral Dewey’s victory at Manila Bay and the famous charge of Teddy Roosevelt’s Rough Riders at San Juan Hill outside Santiago de Cuba.