Transporting logs on waterways in the county was from the 1840’s until 1914. The massive period was between 1870 and 1895. The logs were 20-feet long and stamped with the owners mark.
The county jail, pictured, was built in 1871-72. The jail had 36 cells and housing for the warden and his family. It was the site of three hangings, the last in 1914. Notice the stone wall around the yard.
At the far right is a home with a cupola on the third floor, the current Clearfield County Historical Society. The home was built for Julia and James Kerr, c1880. Mrs. Kerr lived there until 1926.