This somewhat rare, for the times, color photo was taken at Parker Dam, in Pine Township in July of 1941. It shows a newly opened park facility and the cars of the time. Parker Dam was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930’s.
The CCC was a Franklin Roosevelt/New Deal work program that provided otherwise unemployed young men with job opportunities of creating and upgrading conservation and environmental projects throughout the United States.
The men lived and worked in a regimented camp-styled setting and created many parks, flood control dams, nature trails, etc.
The photo shows the last summer of peace before the United States entered into World War II, after the attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7.
The war would change the lives of many of those shown, enjoying a sunny and carefree day at Parker Dam.
The photo was supplied by Cathie Hughes of Clearfield.