Clearfield Man Pleads Guilty to Fighting with Police after Leaving Hospital

CLEARFIELD – A Clearfield man accused of fighting with police after leaving an area hospital pleaded guilty Monday in Clearfield County Court.

Steven F. Allen, 37, was sentenced by Judge Fredric J. Ammerman to six months to one year in jail and two years consecutive probation for two counts of resisting arrest, two counts of simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, disorderly conduct and defiant trespass.

Allen was ordered to have a mental health assessment and attend anger management counseling. He must pay more than $5,300 in restitution and was fined $400 plus costs.

The charges stem from an incident in Lawrence Township near the demolition site of the old Clearfield Middle School on Mill Road on Sept. 7 at 12:21 a.m.

According to the affidavit of probable cause, police were initially dispatched to Penn Highlands Clearfield for a report of a mental health patient leaving the building. He left wearing a hospital gown, but he also had a bag containing his clothing.

Officers were aware of Allen because Clearfield Borough police had dealt with him when he left the hospital earlier that day. He had been committed on a mental health warrant.

Witnesses told police Allen was last seen in the area of the old middle school. After a search through the large piles of steel and other materials as well as the exposed foundation of the building, an officer saw him near the northern side of the site.

Allen, who was wearing blue sweatpants but no shirt, was ordered to show his hands and get on the ground. He fled, screaming “I’m not going back.”

He was told again to stop and that he was under arrest. He ran until he fell to the ground and began flailing his legs toward an approaching officer.

Allen then attempted to get to his feet, as an officer got hands on him. Allen immediately began to resist by pushing, and swinging his arms and legs in a combative motion.

Another officer tried to assist in containing Allen, who was told to stop resisting.

Allen was swinging his arms at them as he screamed that he did not want the aliens to get him. He also yelled that he needed the police because the two officers were trying to kill him.

After several minutes of struggling, the officers were able to gain control to the point that Allen could no longer swing his arms or legs at them.

They held him until additional officers arrived. Allen then began to resist again, but they were able to handcuff him.

He was transported to the emergency room for treatment of the injuries he sustained. One of the officers was also treated for a broken finger.

When he was finished at the ER, Allen was taken to DuBois for further psychiatric care.


GANT Police Blotter
Two Men Accused of Stealing $4,700 Worth of Wedding Gifts from Storage Unit

Leave a Reply