CLEARFIELD – Quick response from local fire departments kept a structure fire from becoming much worse.
At Thursday’s Clearfield Borough Council meeting, Fire Chief George Proud thanked all the fire companies who helped with Wednesday’s fire on West Market Street.
According to previously published GANT News articles, the fire originated in the basement and spread through the HVAC system in the house. The fire crews found and extinguished an additional fire on the second floor of the house.
“I just wanted to thank all the departments who responded,” Proud said. “Mill Road, Bigler/Jackson/Woodland, Houtzdale, West Sandy, Curwensville and Grampian/Penn/Bloom. The crews were able to get a really quick knock-down on the fire and we kept it from spreading.”
Also at the meeting, Resident Tim Winters reminded the council and the public about the Clearfield Revitalization Corp.’s “Downtown Beautification” day, which will be held on Saturday.
Winters said he was also asking for additional volunteers to meet at the St. Francis Church parking lot at 8:30 a.m. Saturday for a second project. He said safety equipment was being provided, but he asked the volunteers to bring “a pair of boots, a weed-eater and a strong back.”
In other business, the council voted to approve:
- Road closures for the Clearfield County Fair Parade July 31
- Traffic control at 8:30 a.m. Aug. 5 for the Clearfield YMCA Health of Community Run.
- Renting a roller for two months for a cost not to exceed $1,995 per month.
- A resolution letter allowing PennDOT to file an application with the Public Utility Commission for a Railroad Warning Device upgrade at Nichols Street
- The final pay estimate for Greenland Construction in the amount of $23,771.40 for the Nichols Street Storm Sewer Outfall
- A change order for Greenland Construction at a decrease of $995.60.
- A payment to Anderson Equipment in the amount of $2,786.98 for repairs to the JCB Backhoe.
- A request for the Planning commission to review and develop an ordinance regarding farm animals and fowl.
- A request for the Borough Operations Manager to meet with the Clearfield County Commissioners at 3:30 p.m. May 30.
- A request for the Civil Service Commission to provide council with a list of full-time officers.