Grannis to Stand Trial in Sexual Assault Case

CLEARFIELD – All charges were held for court against a Clearfield man who has been accused of sexually assaulting a woman following a preliminary hearing Wednesday during Centralized Court at the Clearfield County Jail.

August Eugene Grannis, 33, of Clearfield has been charged with aggravated indecent assault without consent, indecent assault without consent of other and harassment.

According to the affidavit of probable cause, on July 19 Clearfield Borough police received a report about an alleged sexual assault. Upon responding to the report, the victim told police Grannis had inappropriately touched her, and when she told him no, he didn’t stop.

During an interview with police, the victim said another male and Grannis had been drinking. She said when they came back and she was alone talking with Grannis, he began moving closer, which made her uncomfortable. The victim said Grannis allegedly began inappropriately touching her.

She said she told Grannis that she was going to yell for the male to come back into the room. Then, when she tried to get up, the victim said that Grannis allegedly stood over top of her. She told Grannis she had text-messaged and asked for the male to come back, which she said caused Grannis to stop his actions.

During the incident, the victim’s friend said the male had gone back upstairs to see what was going on when he overheard the victim saying “I’ll yell for him.” The friend told police that the male didn’t know what to do, and she text-messaged the victim. After Grannis left, the friend said the victim came downstairs and was crying.

During a phone call with police, Grannis allegedly admitted he had inappropriately touched the victim; however, he claimed that he stopped when she asked him to. Grannis also told police he wasn’t going to lie or hide and would come in for an interview July 20.

In an interview with police, a male said he and Grannis had been talking to the victim. He left the room and went downstairs to talk with friends. While downstairs, the male said he had a “gut feeling” that something wasn’t right and went back upstairs.

As he was going upstairs, the male said he allegedly heard the victim saying “I will holler for him if you don’t stop.” He said he panicked but at the same time didn’t want to make any assumptions. When he went downstairs, he told a female friend who text-messaged the victim.

After his friend and the victim exchanged text messages, the male said that Grannis allegedly came downstairs and left. He said the victim came downstairs and told them Grannis stopped his actions and left after the text message exchange.

When asked if Grannis had been drinking prior to the incident, the male told police that Grannis had quite a bit of “Jager” and “Jack.” He told police that Grannis was “pretty intoxicated.”

On July 20 Grannis allegedly claimed that he’s had consensual sexual relations with the victim.

Depts. of Health and Education Propose Changes to PA’s School Immunization Requirements
GANT Police Blotter

Leave a Reply