CLEARFIELD – United with spirit, community members and representatives gathered together at the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks No. 540, the Clearfield Lodge, for the distribution of donations to 21 local organizations.
For the last seven years, the local Elks have distributed their proceeds from the High Country Arts & Crafts Fair among local, community organizations as a demonstration of their motto “Elks Care, Elks Share.” The arts fair was started 27 years ago and is held at S.B. Elliott State Park.
Current District Deputy Grand Exalted Ruler David Semelsberger explained that nationally, the Elks organization has contributed $4 million for veterans. He said locally, the Elks have contributed $50,000 toward scholarships.
Semelsberger also mentioned the Elks will have the annual Christmas dinners available to the public this winter. He said it’s an event hosted in cooperation with the Alliance of Bikers Aimed Toward Education (ABATE).
Representatives from local organizations shared their plans for their funding. “Support like this is critical to our mission,” said Ken Geary of the American Red Cross of Clearfield. Geary pointed out that in this area, the majority of the assistance provided by Red Cross volunteers is to single families that are victims of fires.
Representatives from the Clearfield Bison Quarterback Club said their funding will benefit their players, from the Clearfield Arts Studio Theatre to help rejuvenate and save the CAST and from the Marian House to support the people staying at the homeless shelter.
The following local, community organizations received funding from the Clearfield Elks this year:
- American Cancer Society, Clearfield
- American Red Cross, Clearfield
- Clearfield County Area Agency on Aging
- Clearfield Band Boosters
- Clearfield Swim Team
- Clearfield Arts Studio Theatre (CAST)
- Clearfield Bison Quarterback Club
- Clearfield County Crimestoppers
- Clearfield Emergency Medical Services
- Clearfield Ministerium Food Bank
- Curwensville Civic Center
- Living Bread Ministries
- Marian House
- Yingling Cancer Center
- Salvation Army, Clearfield Corps
- Joseph & Elizabeth Shaw Public Library
- Special Olympics of Clearfield County
- Susquehanna Rural Free Clinic
- Tagg Team Corporation (Crossroads)
- Waroquier Scholarship Fund
- Judd Zimmer Scholarship Fund