LUTHERSBURG – The DuBois Area Historical Society’s seventh annual Spring Walk will be held in Luthersburg on May 9, beginning at 10:30 a.m.
The walk is free and open to all. It will start from the Stagecoach monument at the intersection of Routes 219 and 322.
Jean Hayes, the DuBois Area Historical Society’s area representative for Brady Township, has organized a historic two-part tour of the community.
At the Stagecoach monument, John Hayes will speak about his historic home, located just above the monument and Gary Gilmore will talk about the origins of Luthersburg.
The talk will continue with information about the former Frank Hahne/DuBois Brewery farm and the Luthersburg farm hill just east of the stagecoach monument. Those wishing to do so may bring lawn chairs for this portion of the program.
Those attending will then be asked to return to their cars and drive to the opposite end of town for a program in the historic Luthersburg Cemetery led by Emma Miller and Larry Fulton.
Parking for the first part of the walk will be available at the Methodist Church. Parking for the cemetery portion of the walk will be available at St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Fire police from the Brady Township Fire Department will assist with traffic and parking for the activity.
Luthersburg owes its origin to Lebbeus Luther (1792-1870), who came to Oldtown (now Clearfield) in 1813 with the purpose of establishing a tavern along the Philadelphia to Erie Turnpike.
He bought 143 acres of land at a price of five dollars an acre, the land that now encompasses Luthersburg. Luther established a tavern at the intersection of the Rockton and Grampian roads. When the turnpike was completed in 1824, Luthersburg became a bustling center for the region.
The DuBois Area Historical Society’s Spring Walk has become a popular event and community reunion when it has been held in town settings. More than 40 people attended last year’s walk in Soldier and more than 90 people attended the 2013 walk in Helvetia.