From Paris to Jerusalem, families and world leaders gathered to mourn those killed in last week’s French terror attacks.
At a national ceremony in Paris, French President Francois Hollande eulogized three slain police officers — Ahmed Merabet, Franck Brinsolaro and Clarissa Jean-Philippe.
He awarded each with the Legion d’Honeur (National Order of Merit), placing a medal on each coffin.
Merabet was a Muslim policeman killed while trying to pursue the assailants from the Charlie Hebdo attack, which left 12 people dead.
“He was killed by false Muslims,” his brother, Malek, brother told reporters. “One must not confuse extremists with Muslims. Mad people have neither color or religion. I want to make another point: don’t tar everybody with the same brush, don’t burn mosques — or synagogues. You are attacking people. It won’t bring our dead back.”
Brinsolaro worked as a protection officer for the satirical newspaper’s editor, Stephane Charbonnier, who was also killed.
And Jean-Philippe was killed by a gunman suspected in last week’s terror attacks. She and her partner were responding to a traffic accident when she was gunned down.
In Jerusalem, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu honored four hostages killed in a siege at a French kosher market.
The bodies of all four — Philippe Braham, Yohan Cohen, Yoav Hattab and François-Michel Saada — were flown to Israel and will be buried at the Givat Shaul cemetery on Jerusalem.
Al Qaeda issues new threat
Even before it could bury the dead from last week’s terror attacks, France must deal with a new threat from an al Qaeda affiliate.
Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, the terror group’s North Africa branch issued a warning published on jihadist websites.
“France pays the cost of its violence on Muslim countries and the violation of their sanctity,” AQIM said in its statement.
“As long as its soldiers occupy countries such as Mali and Central Africa and bombard our people in Syria and Iraq, and as long as its lame media continues to undermine our Prophet (Mohammed), France will expose itself to the worst and more.”
France is reeling from an attack at the Charlie Hebdo satirical newspaper, which killed 12 people Wednesday; the death of policewoman Thursday; and the siege of a kosher supermarket Friday that left four hostages dead.
Three terrorists from the attacks were killed, but a suspected co-conspirator remains on the loose — possibly in Syria.
Big day for Charlie Hebdo
The warning from AQIM came just before Charlie Hebdo, known for its controversial depictions of the Prophet Mohammed, went to the presses Tuesday for the first time since the attack.
Three million copies will be printed, up from the usual 60,000. The issue will hit newsstands Wednesday.
This time, the cover features a drawing of a frowning Prophet Mohammed with a teardrop coming from his eye.
“All is Forgiven,” the cover headline says in French.
In the prophet’s hands: a sign that says “Je suis Charlie” — or “I am Charlie.”
Concerns spread to U.S.
While France is grappling with a new wave of terrorism, concerns about future attacks have spilled well across its borders.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is boosting security at more government buildings across the country. But the exact locations are “law-enforcment sensitve,” DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson said in a statement.
Johnson also noted that the Transportation Security Administration has ramped up the number of random searches of passengers and carry-on luggage at U.S. airports.
And the White House tried to do damage control Monday after widespread criticism that neither President Barack Obama nor any other high-ranking U.S. official joined a massive anti-terrorism march in Paris that drew 40 other world leaders.
White House spokesman Josh Earnest acknowledged “we should have sent someone with a higher profile,” not even trying to justify the fact that largely unknown U.S. ambassador Jane Hartley was the top American official at Sunday’s rally.
While the U.S. has not faced a physical terror attack since the incidents in France, ISIS sympathizers did hack the Twitter account for U.S. Central Command.
A series of unusual tweets were published Monday with apparent warnings from ISIS, as well as links, images and Pentagon documents that reveal contact information for members of the military.
The first tweet read: “AMERICAN SOLDIERS, WE ARE COMING, WATCH YOUR BACK. ISIS.”
“CyberCaliphate” and “i love you isis” were sprawled out in white letters against a black screen at the top of the Twitter page.
The account was suspended, but defense officials say no classified information was obtained and no military networks were compromised.