Curwensville Man Sentenced in Rape Case

CLEARFIELD – A Curwensville man will serve up to 40 years in state prison for raping a 13-year-old girl.

Jeremie Thomas Suhoney Sr., 38, 421 Walnut St., Curwensville, pleaded guilty during plea and sentencing court in Clearfield County to rape, statutory sexual assault, two counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, three counts of aggravated indecent assault, criminal attempt/involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, criminal attempt/aggravated indecent assault, endangering the welfare of children and corruption of minors.

Judge Paul Cherry sentenced him to a total of 12 to 40 years in state prison. He was ordered to complete sex offender counseling and not to have any unsupervised contact with anyone under the age of 18. Although he was not found to be a sexually violent predator, he must register his address with Megan’s Law for the rest of his life.

Prior to sentencing, Suhoney stated that he was sorry for what happened.

This was the second sentencing hearing for Suhoney, who was originally sentenced to 25 to 50 years in prison in July of last year. He attempted to withdraw his plea shortly after the original sentencing, but this motion was denied. An appeal was filed because he was not notified of the court using the mandatory maximum sentences in his case prior to sentencing, according to court documents.

The Superior Court vacated his sentence and the case was returned to the county. Suhoney signed the new plea agreement during jury selection earlier this month.

The charges stem from an incident in Curwensville on Feb. 2, 2013 According to the affidavit of probable cause, an investigation began after students noticed the victim was upset. When questioned, she told her friend that she may have been raped at Suhoney’s residence when she stayed there overnight. This was reported to school officials who called police and her parents.

The girl was taken to DuBois Regional Medical Center where she spoke with a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner. She told the nurse that she asked her mother to drop her off that evening at a friend’s grandmother’s home but it was actually Suhoney’s house. She was “hanging out” there with him and his two sons. They played video games and watched a movie.

At about 2:30 a.m., she put the boys to bed and got ready to sleep on the couch. Suhoney offered for her to sleep in his room, saying he would sleep on the couch. She laid down on his bed.

Around 3 a.m., he entered the room and took off his clothes, leaving only his boxer shorts. He turned her to face him, as he began kissing and caressing her. When she said “wait, don’t do this,” he responded “you’ll have fun.” He then raped her.

She said she might have blacked out a few times during the assault, which included him forcing her to perform a sex act on him.

When police asked her how she met Suhoney, she explained she was having trouble with Suhoney’s oldest son bullying her in school. She found Suhoney on Facebook and added him as a friend. They then sent messages back and forth leading to them making plans for her to visit him at his residence.

On Feb. 6, 2013, police spoke with Suhoney, who admitted he was friends with the victim and she was at his residence that night. He confirmed the details of the night with the kids having a pillow fight and watching a movie. He claimed he thought she was 18 or 19 years old. He admitted to having sex with her in his bed, but said it was not like she claimed.

Taste of Home: Share and Win!
Penn State SBDC to close Philipsburg office Sept. 30

Leave a Reply