LTE: State Agencies

There are many different state agencies that can help you with a wide range of information. However, do you know who they are and how to contact them?  Hopefully, we will help you with some general information and contact information too.

The Bureau of Forestry manages state forest lands and gives assistance to private land owners and other agencies with forestry questions, wildfires, insect and disease problems, recreation, search and rescue and more.  Our mission is to ensure the long-term health, viability and productivity of the Commonwealth’s forests and to conserve native wild plants. The Elk State Forest can be reached at 814-486-3353, Monday-Friday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. or at You can also go to

The Bureau of State Parks mission is to provide opportunities for enjoying healthful outdoor recreation and to serve as outdoor classrooms for environmental education. In meeting these purposes, the conservation of the natural, scenic, aesthetic and historical values of the parks should be given first consideration. Stewardship responsibilities should be carried out in a way that protects the natural outdoor experience for the enjoyment of current and future. You can reach them at 1-888-727-2757 or

The Fish and Boat Commission is an independent Commonwealth agency comprised of 10 commissioners by the governor and approved by the legislature. Day-to-day operations are overseen by our executive director. The mission of the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is to provide fishing and boating opportunities through the protection and management of aquatic resources. Boat Registration/Titling Help Line is 866-BoatReg (866-262-8734) and Boating Safety Courses is 888-PaFish1, (888-723-4741). You can reach them where all their other contact numbers are located.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission was created in 1895 as an independent state agency, the Game Commission is responsible for conserving and managing all wild birds and mammals in the Commonwealth, establishing hunting seasons and bag limits, enforcing hunting and trapping laws, and managing habitat on the 1.4 million acres of State Game Lands it has purchased over the years with hunting and furtaking license dollars to safeguard wildlife habitat.  The agency also conducts numerous wildlife conservation programs for schools, civic organizations and sportsmen’s clubs.  To contact the PGC for our local counties call 570-398-4744 or 4745. You can also reach them at

The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is the state agency largely responsible for administering Pennsylvania’s environmental laws and regulations. Its responsibilities include: reducing air pollution; making sure our drinking water is safe; protecting water quality in our rivers and streams; making sure waste is handled properly; supporting community renewal and revitalization; promoting advanced energy technology; and helping citizens prevent pollution and comply with the Commonwealth’s environmental regulations. DEP is committed to general environmental education and encouraging effective public involvement in setting environmental policy. You can call 570-327-3636 if you are in Cameron, Clearfield, Center and Potter Counties at 814-332-6945 for Elk, Forest and McKean counties.

You can also reach them at

The Pennsylvania State Police was created by an Act of legislature, which was signed into law in 1905.  It was the first uniformed police organization of its kind in the United States.  Today the authorized complement of the Pennsylvania State Police is 4,545 sworn members.  The core purpose of the PSP is to seek justice, preserve peace, and improve the quality of life for all. Emporium barracks is 814-486-3321. Ridgway barracks is 814-776-6136. Coudersport barracks is 814-274-8690. McKean barracks is 814-778-5555.  You can also reach them at

Jeanne Wambaugh, District Forester

Elk State Forest

LTE: The Arctic Opens Up
LTE: A Letter of Thanks

Leave a Reply