Sykesville Fire Chief Kevin Yamrick told WJAC-TV that the fire originated in a bedroom on the second floor of the home. He said the fire spread to the home’s attic.
The Pennsylvania State Police fire marshal responded to the scene and investigated the fire. Yamrick said he fire was ruled accidental, while a 3-year-old child was playing with a lighter in a bedroom.
Officials believe while playing with the lighter, the child ignited a bed. The home’s residents were to escape; one person was treated for smoke inhalation, Yamrick said.
The American Red Cross and mutual aid companies from DuBois, Reynoldsville and Big Run were at the scene.
West Sandy, Brady Township, Elk Run and Adrian fire companies were all on standby.
Yamrick said the second floor and attic were badly damaged. He believed the home’s first floor is OK but noted there’s a lot of water damage.
Yamrick estimated the fire caused nearly $100,000 worth of damage.