Across the country, more and more grandparents and family members are serving as the main caregiver for their grandchildren, nieces and nephews and siblings. More than 6 million children nationwide are living in a household headed by their grandparents or other relatives.
The Relatives As Parents Program (RAPP) of Children’s Aid Society is here to support local grandparents raising grandchildren and other relative caregivers. The program includes a monthly support group where grandparents and other relative caregivers can share their struggles, setbacks and successes of parenting a second time around; learn, receive and provide support to and from families like theirs; and gather information about available community resources. The support group meets the third Monday of every month at 6:00pm at Children’s Aid Society. Child care is available and a light dinner is provided!
Upcoming Support Group Topics
• July 16 – Coffee & Conversation: Group Discussion
• Aug. 20 – Improving Children’s Self-Worth
• Sept. 17 – Creating Encouragement Jars *Caregiver/Child Activity
• Oct. 15 – Getting to Know You: Children’s Temperaments
• Nov. 19 – Coping with Kids Who Drive Us Crazy
• Dec. 17 – Holiday Celebration *Caregiver/Child Activity
For more information contact Shannon at (814) 765-2686 ext. 221 or firstname.lastname@example.org.