CLEARFIELD – This year’s Clearfield County Fair will feature some opportunities for Clearfield County residents to … mix it up in the culinary arena.
To start things off, Ethan’s Cafe and Angry Bean are sponsoring the “Amazing Appetizer” contest. The rules are as follows:
- All entries must be pre-registered, one entry per person. Registration forms must be received at the Clearfield County Fair office no later than 4 p.m. July 29 2011, registration forms may be mailed but have to be received by July 29, 2011.
- The contest is open to amateur contestants of all ages, must be a Pennsylvania resident.
- The individual contestant must make their own dish.
- All ingredients should be familiar to most people and available locally. Recipe should be creative, not a direct copy of a cookbook or magazine.
- The recipe must accompany the appetizer, can be hand written or typed on 8 ½”x 11” sheet of paper with contestants name, address and phone number on the back of the recipe.
- Appetizers should be presented on a disposable plate or container. Warming/Cooling dishes may be used; however the Clearfield County Fair and contest sponsors are not responsible for any lost, stolen or broken items during the contest.
- Servings to accommodate a minimum 4 judges are required.
- Appetizer entry is due at the Grove Stage no later than 11:45 a.m. Monday August 1, 2011. Judging will take place at the Grove Stage.
Judging is based on the following criteria: flavor/taste (35 percent); originality (25 percent); appearance (25 percent); and ease of preparation (15 percent).
The first place winner will take home $50 and a rosette; second place $30 and a rosette; and third place $20 and a rosette.
Also new this year are two events sponsored by Sweat Art Bakery. The first is a Cake Decorating Contest. The rules are as follows:
- Open to any individual who is a Pennsylvania resident age 15 or older , that does not receive any income from baking/decorating (other than baking and cooking contests).
- All designs must be original creations of the contest.
- Cakes must be baked from “scratch” and accompanied with original recipe on 8 ½’ by 11” sheet of paper. Hand written or typewritten. Name, address and phone number listed on the back.
- All decorations must be edible, with the exception of internal cake supports.
- All submissions must include a detailed sketch of planned design and simple statement explaining how the design is to be executed. Modifications to design must be supported with an explanation.
- Design must represent contest theme “Hometown Fair”
- Cake and fillings must not include components that require refrigeration.
Judging will be based on the following criteria: taste, complexity of design, creativity within the theme and execution of design.
The first place winner will take home $100 and a rosette; second place $75 and a rosette; and third place $50 and a rosette.
Sweet Art Bakery is also sponsoring a Kids Cupcake Decorating Contest. The rules are as follows:
- Open to any Pennsylvania resident between the ages of 7-14.
- Cupcakes only. Decorating contest only, cupcakes may be made from scratch or a mix.
- The contestant must decorate the cupcake themselves.
- Entry may be a single decorated cupcake or a small group of cupcakes decorated as a single theme. Contest theme is “Fair Food”.
Judging will be based on the following: creativity within theme, level of difficulty and overall appearance.
The first place winner will take home $50 and a rosette; second place $30 and a rosette; and third place $15 and a rosette.
Preregistration forms, for both Sweet Art Contests will be accepted at the Clearfield County Fair Office until July 29 at 4 p.m. NO Exceptions. Culinary entry form from the official Clearfield County Fair Premium book may be used or a form can be picked up at the Sweet Art Bakery on the Clearfield County Fair Web site.
Judging for both contests will be held Aug. 1 at noon on the Grove Stage. Entries for both contests must arrive at the Grove stage no later than 11:45 a.m., Aug. 1.
Also featured this year is the King Arthur Flour Baking Contest. The contest is open to ages 8-17 and 18 and up. This contest will be held Aug. 1 at noon at the Grove Stage. The rules are as follows:
- Pre-registration is required (see below) and is due as follows: received by date: July 29 at 4:00 p.m. at the Clearfield County Fair Office. NO Exceptions. Entries to be at the Grove Stage no later than 11:45 a.m. Aug. 1. Judging will take place at the Grove Stage.
- Exhibitor must bring the opened bag of King Arthur Flour or submit a UPC label from the flour bag when he/she submits their entry the day of the contest. Entrant must be a Pennsylvania Resident.
- Entry must be a layered cake of any flavor made from scratch using King Arthur Flour.
***For Junior entries must be a plate of 6 cookies made from scratch using King Arthur Flour.
- Cake must be frosted, edible decorations are encouraged.
- All entries must be submitted on a disposable container/plate for judging.
- All entries must be accompanied with a recipe typed or hand written on 81/2” by 11” sheet of paper with contestant’s name, address and phone number on the back.
- Ingredients list must state King Arthur Flour.
Judging will be based on the following criteria: flavor (50 points); overall appearance (25 points); and texture (25 points).
The prices from King Arthur Flour are as follows:
Adult Category Junior Category
1st place: $75 gift certificate to the Baker’s Catalogue 1st. place: $50 gift certificate to the Baker’s Catalogue
2nd place: $50 gift certificate to the Baker’s Catalogue 2nd place: $25 gift certificate to the Baker’s Catalogue
3rd place: King Arthur Flour Large Tote Bag 3rd place: Brownie Pan