Any Penn State fan who donates blood at one of the upcoming American Red Cross drives could be selected as “Donor of the Game” at a Nittany Lions home game this season.
The American Red Cross, Greater Alleghenies Blood Services Region, has partnered with Penn State Athletics on a season-long Bleed Blue promotion to increase blood donations among the Nittany Lion faithful. For a list of Bleed Blue blood drives, visit here.
“We want to tap into Penn State pride across our 100-county service area,” stated John Hagins, chief executive officer of the Greater Alleghenies Region.
“Our blood donation program at Penn State is a model for campus-based blood donation programs. We believe that our Bleed Blue promotion will excite Nittany Lion fans everywhere and help increase blood supplies for patient care.”
He noted that every two seconds, someone in the country needs a blood transfusion. He said these needs continue day and night as well as every day of the year.
All presenting blood donors at the Red Cross’ Bleed Blue blood drives will be automatically entered to win a “Donor of the Game” package prior to a Penn State home game.
The package includes the following:
– Two tickets to the Penn State football game.
– Two pre-game hospitality passes.
– Two Penn State t-shirts.
– A sideline visit during the game; participants must be age 16 or older.
– Radio recognition during the Pre-Game Show portion of the statewide game broadcast.
– Beaver Stadium video board recognition.
– After the game, a Donor of the Game photo will be posted on the Penn State Athletics Web site, www.GoPSUsports.com.
All presenting donors at Bleed Blue blood drives through early December will be entered to win the grand prize, a 2010 Penn State Bowl Game Package, which includes:
– One winner who will receive four bowl game tickets, plus airfare and hotel accommodations.
– Participants must be at least 18 years old for the bowl game package drawing.
Visit here for additional information about the Penn State – Red Cross Bleed Blue promotion.
Blood can be safely donated every 56 days. Most healthy people age 17 and older, or 16 with parental consent, who weigh at least 110 pounds, are eligible to donate blood and platelets.
Donors who are 18 and younger must also meet specific height and weight requirements.
Those with specific eligibility questions should call the Red Cross Donor Client Support Center at 1-866-236-3276. Many donors are eligible to give blood every 56 days.
Individuals may also follow the Red Cross on Twitter: www.twitter.com/redcrossGAR.