BELLEFONTE – U.S. Rep. Glenn ‘GT’ Thompson (PA-5) has announced Oct. 1, as the submission deadline for high school seniors to apply for nomination for acceptance into the U.S. Service Academies for 2017.
“I welcome interested students to contact the respective academy they are seeking acceptance, in order to open a pre-candidate application file. When that is complete, they should contact my Bellefonte office to start the process of opening an application,” said Thompson.
“This is a highly competitive process, yet each year I am amazed at outstanding qualifications of the applicants, their passion, and commitment to service,” Thompson added.
Detailed information on the academy nomination application process, including the application itself and related guidance, can be found on Thompson’s Web site, www.thompson.house.gov, under the “Services” tab. Students can also learn more by calling the congressman’s academy coordinator at 814-353-0215.
Completed applications must be submitted to Thompson’s district office, located at 3555 Benner Pike, Suite 101, Bellefonte, PA 16823.
The service academies accepting nominations through congressional offices are the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md.; the U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, Colo.; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, NY. The U.S. Coast Guard Academy at New London, Conn., accepts candidates based on its own testing criteria.
Basic requirements for applying for a nomination are:
- The candidate must be at least 17 years old but not have passed his or her 23rd
- Must be a U.S. citizen at time of application.
- Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents.
- Must reside within the boundaries of the 5thCongressional District of Pennsylvania.
- Must be able to meet the medical, physical and academic requirements set forth by the academies.
- Must submit a congressional nomination application, including all required information.
- Note: Students must also apply directly to the selected academy by initially filing a pre-candidate application
Selection criteria are based on an impartial, non-partisan, volunteer board that oversees the nomination process.