DUBOIS – The DuBois Area Historical Society will open its programs for 2015 with a new activity focusing on children, “A Night at the Museum.”
A “Night at the Museum” will be held Feb. 26, in the society’s museum at 28 W. Long Ave., DuBois. The program is open to children in kindergarten through fifth grade accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Advance sign-ups will be taken for tours at 6:40 p.m., 7 p.m., 7:20 p.m. and 7:40 p.m. Pre-registration must be made and will be limited to 40 children.
Walk-ins will not be accepted. For reservations, call 814-371-0193. There is any charge for this program, but donations are always gladly accepted.
The activity is scheduled on a night before a flex day for the school district.
“The “Night at the Museum” takes its name from the series of movies starring Ben Stiller,” said Carolyn Rhoades, coordinator of the event and youth director for the society.
“There are no dinosaurs or mannequins that will come alive in our museum, but that doesn’t mean that the children won’t meet real people.”
The society took inspiration from the society’s successful Spirit of DuBois Lantern Walks, as the children will encounter a number of characters through the program.
“We were looking for another way to involve young people with history,” said Rhoades. “One way is to invite them into the museum at an early age to hear about local history.
“Young people are the future for all organizations, and exposing them to local history will be important to them in the future.”
Refreshments will be served and each child attending will receive a souvenir activity package.
The DuBois Area Historical Society sponsored seven speakers/activities in 2014 with a total attendance of 586 people. Additional activities are already on the society’s 2015 schedule, including:
- Feb. 7, fundraiser, Fort Worth Restaurant (all day)
- March 14, ninth annual luncheon, “Women in the Arts,” Christ Lutheran Church, 12 p.m.
- April 19, fundraiser, Luigi’s Ristorante (all day)
- April 29 – Guest speaker, Clarence Krach, “DuBois’ First Airport,” 7 p.m., museum
- May – seventh annual Spring Walk, Luthersburg, Date and further details to be announced.
- September – 33rd annual Dinner, “Remembering Tom Mix,” Date and further details to be announced.
- 10 – eighth annual Spirit of DuBois Lantern Walk, “The Spirits of Rumbarger Cemetery,” further details to be announced.