Hollywood, CA, United States (4E) – Every year, the world waits in anticipation for the Emmys to recognize their favorite stars and shows; every year, the Emmys continues to shock and surprise the world with the turn out. 2014 is no exception. Here are some of the snubs and surprises of this year’s Emmy awards—
- Modern Family’s Ty Burrell brings home the award for Outstanding Supporting Actor. Running against Tony Hale and Andre Braugher, the two were actually in the lead as the winners for the evening but ended up losing to a member of the Pritchett Family.
- Sherlock: His Last Vow was indeed a great episode and it likely deserves the nomination for Outstanding Writing for a TV Movie or Miniseries. But considering it was up against Larry Kramer’s The Normal Heart and Fargo, Sherlock taking home the prize was a surprise.
- Largely considered an Emmy snub, acclaimed actress Jodie Foster’s Orange is the New Black directed episode, Lesbian Request Denied didn’t bring home an award for best direction.
- Featuring the vision and prestige of a superstar writer and director at the helm of this all-star ensemble featuring the likes of Mark Ruffalo, Julia Roberts, Matt Bomer, Taylor Kitsch, Alfred Molina and Jim Parsons, it’s quite surprising how HBO’s The Normal Heart didn’t win more awards than it did.
- A complete shocker if there ever was one—Kathy Bates beats frontrunners Julia Roberts and Allison Tolman for Best Supporting Actress in a Miniseries.
- More a disappointment than a surprise as this might be the one shot Matthew McConaughey could have to bring home an Emmy, audiences were left torn at Bryan Cranston’s well-deserved win for Breaking Bad.
- Modern Family beats Orange is the New Black, Veep, Silicon Valley and Louie this year in its category.