Zurich, Switzerland (4E Sports) – The Weltklasse Diamond League meet will push through without the world’s fastest man.
Organizers announced that Usain Bolt has pulled out of the tournament after clocking 9.98 seconds in Warsaw Saturday in only his second individual race of an injury-hampered season.
“Usain’s body has delivered tremendous performances over the last years. But, it is a body and not a machine,” Weltklasse meeting director Patrick Magyar said.
“If an athlete of that level and his coach feel more rest is needed, we are certainly not going to question this and fully support this decision,” he dded.
Bolt’s coach, Glen Mills, said he was satisfied with the sprinter’s performances on his comeback from the foot injury which had delayed his start to the season.
“But we feel it is now time to shut it down while he is healthy and injury free with a view on his preparations for the 2015 season,” Mills said.
The six-time Olympic champion, who will resume training in October, will be looking to retain his world 100m and 200m crowns at the World Championships in Beijing next year.
The world’s fastest man has competed only four times in 2014, twice at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, in a Mano a Mano race on the Copacabana beach in Rio de Janeiro and then in Warsaw, where his time was an unofficial world best for an indoor 100m.
Bolt had been due to take on Great Britain’s European champions James Dasaolu and Adam Gemili in Zurich.