PennDOT issues update for week of Aug. 24
ST. MARYS – Work to improve a section of Route 255 in the city of St. Marys is continuing as the end of summer approaches.
The project stretches from the Tractor Supply Co. intersection to Route 120/State Street in St. Marys. Once the project completes this fall, travel along this section of Route 255 will be smoother and more efficient.
Activity the week of Aug. 24 will include:
• The contractor will begin work on Sunday at 7 p.m. and continue through Thursday afternoon. Work will be performed 24-hours per day.
• Vine Street will continue to be closed between Route 255 (South St. Marys Street) and Chestnut Street. Motorists are to follow the signed detour route. This portion of Vine Street will remain closed until Thursday, at which time it will be opened.
• On Thursday after Vine Street is re-opened, East Arch Street will be closed between Route 255 (South St. Marys Street) and Chestnut Street. Motorists are to follow the signed detour route. This portion of East Arch Street will remain closed until further notice.
• Starting on Tuesday during daytime hours, the contractor will be paving the new northbound lanes of Route 255 between Pistner Road and Arch Street.
• The contractor will be forming and placing concrete steps and sidewalks at various locations along Route 255 between Vine and State streets.
• Route 255 will continue to be restricted to one northbound lane between Random Road and Mill Street and one southbound lane between Railroad Street and Random Road. This traffic pattern will remain in place 24-hours per day until further notice.
• During daytime hours, the contractor will be placing curb along the east side of Route 255 between Vine and Arch streets.
• The contractor will continue with installation of a retaining wall along Route 255 near Vine Street.
• During night-time hours, the contractor will continue grading the northbound lanes on Route 255.
• The contractor will be placing topsoil and seeding various locations throughout the project.
All work is weather and schedule dependent. Motorists are advised to watch for slow-moving and stopped vehicles through the entire work zone. Motorists are advised to be cautious when traveling through the work zone and to obey the posted speed limit.
Overall work includes pavement repair, drainage improvements, addition of a right-turn lane for Route 255 northbound traffic at Vine Street, re-alignment of the Arch Street intersection, a right turn lane on Route 120 east for traffic heading south on Route 255, and other construction items. Dave Gutelius Excavating Inc. of Mifflinburg is the contractor on this $12.8 million project.
Motorists can check conditions on major roadways by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24-hours-a-day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 700 traffic cameras.
511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA Web site.
Follow PennDOT on Twitter at www.twitter.com/511PAStateCOLL.