National Guard called in to restore order in Ferguson, Brown private autopsy bared

Windsor Genova – Fourth Estate Cooperative Contributor

Ferguson, MO, United States (4E) – Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon on Monday called in the state’s National Guard to restore order and protect a police command center in Ferguson that was attacked by protesters on Sunday night.

Nixon also lifted the curfew he imposed on Sunday after it failed to stop Sunday night’s clash between demonstrators and MO state highway patrol (MHP) officers in the streets of the St. Louis suburb.

Demonstrators protesting the Aug. 9 shooting dead of unarmed Michael Brown, 18, by local police officer Darren Wilson, 28, also vandalized and looted shops, threw molotovs and fired at policemen in the Westfall shopping center on West Florissant, according to MHP chief Capt. Ronald S. Johnson. Three people were injured in the shootings as police arrested eight protesters for refusing to disperse.

“As the dual investigations continue into what happened nine days ago at Canfield Green, we must defend Ferguson from these violent interlopers so that the peaceful protests can operate in peace and the search for answers and justice can continue,” Nixon said, according to St. Louis Today.

Meanwhile, the result of the private autopsy on Brown requested by his family showed that he was shot six times in the head, arms and chest.

Brown’s mother, Lesley McSpadden, wanted Wilson to be arrested after learning the autopsy result, her lawyer Benjamin Crump said at a news conference in Ferguson on Monday.

One bullet wound on top of Brown’s head, inflicted while he was bending over, might be the fatal shot, said pathologist Michael Baden, who made the autopsy. Brown also had bullet wounds on his arms indicating he was shot when his hands were raised.

Witnesses to the shooting said Brown’s arms were raised and he said, “Stop, don’t shoot,” when he was shot multiple times. Protesters are now using his last words as rally slogan against alleged police brutality.

Earlier, the St. Louis County Medical Examiner conducted the first autopsy that concluded Brown died of gunshot wounds. The Department of Justice also ordered a separate and third autopsy.

Article © AHN – All Rights Reserved
About the Author

Leave a Reply