HARRISBURG – PennDOT and 11 state airports are inviting second-to-sixth grade students to participate in airport tours and activities as part of this year’s National Aviation Day celebration.
The day’s activities, designed to meet requirements for Scouting organizations’ Aviation and or Aerospace Merit Badges, will allow participants to tour the airport, conduct a preflight inspection, and complete other aviation activities while learning about the aviation career field. Students are encouraged to participate in this exciting and interactive experience, though any interested parties may register to attend.
Events will occur on Aug. 19 unless noted otherwise in the following list of participating airports and their contacts:
- Allegheny County Airport, Rea Mills, 412-466-3026;
- Chester County Airport, Gary Hudson, 610-383-6057;
- Clarion County Airport, Scott Sheffer, 814-226-9993, Aug. 16;
- Connellsville Airport, Dan Schiffbauer, 724-562-0411;
- Erie International Airport, Chris Rodgers, 814-833-4258 x200;
- Heritage Field , Chris Jordan, 610-495-7000;
- Lancaster County Airport, Kim Huber, 717-569-1221;
- Lehigh Valley International Airport, Paula Bonstein, 610-231-5224, Aug. 22;
- Reading Airport, Dave Kalbach, 484-332-0442, Aug. 18;
- Schuylkill County Airport, Bill Willard, 570-544-6002; and
- University Park Airport, Beth Lerew, 814-865-4042, Aug. 9.
The celebration activities are free, though those interested in attending should contact the hosting airport for any registration requirements. All attendees should bring their own lunch and any necessary chaperones.
To learn more about aviation in Pennsylvania visit www.dot.state.pa.us.