Santa Ana, CA, United States (4E) – A 16-year-old boy from Santa Ana, California suffered severe burns in his face, neck and hips after lighting nail polish remover he poured on his chest as part of a YouTube craze called “fire challenge.”
The victim, who was not identified, was in “moderate” and “stable” condition at the Western Medical Center in Santa Ana on Saturday, according to Orange County Fire Authority’s Capt. Larry Kurtz said.
Summers said the boy lit himself around 2:20 p.m. on Friday at his home in the 900 block of South Standard Avenue after watching fire challenges videos on YouTube.
The challenge involves putting flammable materials on the body, lighting it up and putting out the fire before causing injury. The fire challenge videos are also circulating in other social media networks.
Paramedics responded to the fire and took the boy to the hospital.
The incident was the first time someone attempted the fire challenge in Orange County, Kurtz said.