Boston, MA, United States (4E Sports) – Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley announced the filing of murder charges against former New England Patriot tight end Aaron Hernandez for the killing of two men outside a club in July 2012.
Already charged with murder in the June 2013 execution-style shooting of Odin L. Lloyd, Hernandez was indicted today on murder charges in connection with the July 16, 2012 South End killings of Daniel deAbreu, 29, and Safiro Furtado, 28.
According to Conley, Hernandez “stalked, ambushed, and senselessly murdered” two innocent men in a drive-by shooting that was sparked by a “chance encounter” inside a Theater District nightclub.
Prosecutors said the victims, along with three others, were in a BMW at Herald and Shawmut streets when SUV pulled up beside them and Hernandez, in the passenger seat, opened fire with a Smith & Wesson .38 caliber pistol.
Surveillance video captured Hernandez’s SUV circling the block near the Cure Lounge on Tremont Street and passing the victims “at a slow rate of speed” before they got into their own car, according to court documents released earlier this year.
“Our investigation has not uncovered any evidence that these two groups were known to each other, but their chance encounter inside the club triggered a series of events that ended in the murders,” Conley said.
“For us, this case was never about Aaron Hernandez. This case was about two victims who were stalked, ambushed, and senselessly murdered on the streets of the city they called home,” he added.
DeAbreu was a police officer in his native Cape Verde, and Furtado worked as a tour guide. DeAbreu, the driver of the BMW, was shot multiple times including in the chest and Furtado, in the passenger seat, was struck in the head.
Their families have filed a wrongful-death suit against Hernandez. Another passenger was shot in the arm but survived, and two others fled and escaped injury.
Hernandez’s attorneys said he “is innocent of these charges, and he looks forward to his day in court.”
Boston Police Commissioner William B. Evans, who responded to the scene of the double killing, praised his officers and prosecutors for their persistence.
Cops began probing Hernandez in the double-killing after he became a suspect in the June 17, 2013 murder of Lloyd, who was shot to death near Hernandez’s North Attleboro manse.
Investigators in the double murder remembered seeing Hernandez on surveillance video and were probing a possible connection when a nightclub bouncer called cops and said he “had knowledge that the two incidents … were related,” according to court papers unsealed earlier this year.
Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to Lloyd’s murder. He is being held without bail at the Bristol County jail.