Barcelona, Spain (4E Sports) – Barcelona will be able to buy players this summer as FIFA has temporarily lifted the transfer ban inflicted on the team pending an appeal.
Earlier, Barcelona was banned by FIFA from signing any players for two consecutive transfer windows after being found guilty of repeatedly breaching transfer regulations.
“The club FC Barcelona has lodged an appeal before the FIFA Appeal Committee against the decision of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee that sanctioned the club for breaches relating to the international transfer and registration of players under the age of 18,” a FIFA statement said.
“Consequently, the chairman of the FIFA Appeal Committee considered that the appeal lodged by the club is to be granted suspensive effect. In view of the foregoing, the chairman of the FIFA Appeal Committee assures that proper and adequate appeal proceedings will take place and, at the same time, that all rights of the club will be respected,” it added.
Barca has already agreed to sign Croatia international Alen Halilovic this summer, with a deal also reportedly in place to bring in Borussia Moenchengladbach goalkeeper Marc Andre ter Stegen.
In March, Blaugrana president Josep Maria Bartomeu revealed the 120 million euro “war chest” being available for signings, while even more could now be spent considering the widely acknowledged need for a squad shake-up following recent disappointments in the Champions League, Copa del Rey and La Liga.
Those plans look now to be allowed to progress following FIFA’s statement released Wednesday morning which said the ban was being temporarily lifted while any appeals were being heard.
Earlier this week, Mundo Deportivo reported that Blaugrana chief Bartomeu is to meet with FIFA president Sepp Blatter in Switzerland to discuss the appeal on May 6.