London, England, United Kingdom (4E Sports) – David Moyes is expected to be fired after Manchester United’s 2-0 loss to Everton at Goodison Park Sunday, according to several media outlets.
Initially, United did not deny the reports but later insisted that the manager had “definitely” not been sacked.
However, sources cited by media outlets said that the sacking is “imminent.”
The sources claimed that the club’s owners, the Glazer family, have been contemplating sacking Moyes since the FA Cup defeat to Swansea City on Jan. 5 and have taken a much more active interest in the matter in the wake of Sunday’s performance.
Meetings took place throughout Monday morning over the manager, with several players said to be disillusioned with his leadership.
It was reported earlier that Moyes, who was appointed Sir Alex Ferguson’s successor on a six-year contract in the summer, had lost the faith of key boardroom figures and his position was under serious threat.
The doubts increased significantly after a defeat at Everton that not only leaves the club unable to qualify for next season’s Champions League but raised serious questions over the players’ commitment to their manager.
“The supporters realize it has been a difficult season. They understand it has not been good. I recognize it has not been good — it needs to be better,” Moyes said.
“Everybody knows that we are on track to make changes and do some different things. We are rebuilding. We have got things we want to do,” he added.
United will finish the campaign with their lowest-ever Premier League points total, having lost 11 of their 34 games so far.