Gas line explosion obliterates condo, kills 1 resident

Windsor Genova – Fourth Estate Cooperative Contributor

Ewing, NJ, United States (4E) – A condominium home in Ewing, New Jersey exploded after a gas leak killing one resident and injuring seven utility workers on Tuesday.

The explosion also started a fire that damaged 55 other homes in the condo complex on Crockett Lane, according to police.

The fatality was found around 5:15 p.m. away from the house that exploded into smithereens, said Lt. Ron Lunetta of the Ewing Township Police Department. The identity of the dead victim was not released.

The injured were Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSE&GC) utility workers and contractors, who responded to the smell of gas in the air just before noon when the explosion occurred. They were being treated at the Capital Health Regional Medical Center in Trenton and at Capital Health Medical Center – Hopewell for fractured legs, shrapnel embedded in skin, concussions and lacerations.

No one suffered burns and the injuries were not life-threatening, said Dr. L. F. D’Amelio, chairman of the department of surgery and director of trauma services at Capital Health.

Lunetta said two workers for Henkels & McCoy were doing electrical repair in the condo complex when a gas line was struck causing a leak. The workers called PSE&GC to help with the leak.

At 12:51 p.m., there was an explosion in the condo unit leveling the home.

Other residents in the complex were evacuated. A house-to-house search was done but no other victims were found. The gas line was turned off.

Article © AHN – All Rights Reserved
About the Author

Leave a Reply