Cubs: Starlin Castro out a week due to hamstring issue

Fitzgerald Cecilio – 4E Sports Reporter

Chicago, IL, United States (4E Sports) – Chicago Cubs manager Rick Renteria said star shortstop Starlin Castro will be ready for the regular season despite suffering from mild right hamstring strain that will sideline him from seven to 10 days.

“From what we gathered, it’s similar to what happened to him last year at this time,” Renteria said of Castro’s injury, suffered in the first inning Sunday when he tried to steal second. “It’s seven to 10 days, and we’re just being cautious with him. It shouldn’t set him back for the regular season.”

Castro was sidelined for two weeks last spring with a sore left hamstring. After Sunday’s game, he said the injury suffered on Sunday was “not too bad, like last year” and that the team removed him as a precautionary measure. A year ago, Castro could barely walk after he was hurt.

“This doesn’t seem to be anything like last year to the degree that it was,” Renteria said. “He’s walking around pretty good now.”

While Castro rests, the Cubs will give Emilio Bonifacio and Darwin Barney more starts at shortstop. The team will also look at top prospect Javier Baez aside from infielders Arismendy Alcantara and Jeudy Valdez.

“What it allows us to do is see other guys at that position and recognize if Barney can go over there, and [Bonifacio],” Renteria said. “It’ll give guys playing time.”

Castro is coming off a season in which he batted a career-low .245.

Article © AHN – All Rights Reserved
About the Author

Leave a Reply