UFC drops Thiago Silva after aggravated assault charge

Fitzgerald Cecilio – 4E Sports Reporter

Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States (4E Sports) – The UFC has terminated the contract of light heavyweight fighter Thiago Silva after he was arrested and charged with aggravated assault with a firearm and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.

“This guy will never fight again in the UFC,” White told celebrity website TMZ early Friday.

Later, the UFC released the following statement: “The Ultimate Fighting Championship has terminated the contract of Thiago Silva effective immediately.”

The incident started when Silva confronted his estranged wife, Thaysa. They were separated in 2012, and Thaysa has since admitted to an ongoing extramarital affair with Pablo Popovitch, founder of the Team Popovitch Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Center in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Last January, Thiago confronted Thaysa over the extramarital affair. Thiago allegedly pointed a silver revolver at Thaysa and put the gun in her mouth, prompting her to obtain a temporary restraining order against her husband.

Silva violated his restraining order by showing up at the couple’s home on Feb. 5, before sending a disturbing text message threatening to kill Thaysa.

The next night, Thaysa was training at Popovitch’s training center when Thiago drove up and blared his horn continuously until his former wife came out.

When she got close to the vehicle, a visibly intoxicated Thiago pointed a glock firearm at her and said, “You have 10 seconds to bring Pablo outside and if he does not come out, I will go in the gym and start shooting everyone.”

There were allegedly 25 students inside the center at the time of the threat. Popovitch came out and approached the car when Thiago again threatened to kill both Popovitch and Thaysa before driving away. Popovitch then ran back inside, locked the door and called 911.

Police responded to the incident and tracked the fighter back to his home, where Thiago barricaded himself inside and an armed standoff took place, according to NBC 6 South Florida. After police surrounded the home, Silva eventually came out and was subdued by a stun gun.

During Friday’s initial hearing, a judge has decided to hold Silva in custody without bond.

Silva (16-3) has fought for the UFC since 2007. He is scheduled to meet Ovince St. Preux at UFC 171 on March 15 in Dallas.

Article © AHN – All Rights Reserved
About the Author

Leave a Reply