Penguins: Blueliner Kris Letang suffered a stroke

Fitzgerald Cecilio – 4E Sports Reporter

Pittsburgh, PA, United States (4E Sports) – Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Ray Shero bared that defenseman Kris Letang suffered a stroke last week and will be out for at least six weeks to recover.

Shero said the condition is treatable and does not appear to be career threatening.

“Kris had one brief episode of dizziness and nausea last week,” Shero said. “We held him out of the Los Angeles game Thursday night, and when he continued to feel ill, tests conducted in Phoenix on Saturday gave us the first indication of his condition.”

Shero added that Letang underwent further testing when he returned to Pittsburgh and he continued to undergo a battery of tests this week. The defenseman will be re-evaluated after a six-week treatment period.

Doctors found a small hole in the wall of Letang’s heart during further medical examinations and that they are assessing whether that led to the stroke.

The Penguins gave Letang clearance to go on vacation with his family during the NHL’s Olympic break.

“I hope that by making my condition public at this time, I can help other people by encouraging them to seek medical help if they experience some of the symptoms associated with a stroke — regardless of their age or general health,” Letang said.

“It obviously was a shock to get the news, but I’m optimistic that I can overcome this and get back on the ice,” added the 26-year-old Letang, who was runner-up to Montreal’s P.K. Subban for the Norris Trophy last season.

Article © AHN – All Rights Reserved
About the Author

Leave a Reply