Carbon monoxide poisoning sends 30 Minnesota students to hospital

Windsor Genova – Fourth Estate Cooperative Contributor

Springfield, MN, United States (4E) – Thirty students from a Minnesota school were hospitalized Thursday after they exhibited symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, according to Springfield police.

The students from the Springfield Public School started vomiting and passing out in the auditorium around 9:30 a.m. They were taken by ambulance to call the Mayo Clinic Health System hospital and the school was evacuated. Twenty-eight of the patients were treated and released while two remained as of Thursday afternoon.

One of the patients reportedly felt better after being given oxygen.

The evacuated students and staff were taken to the Springfield Community Center. Parents picked up their children there.

Gas leak in the school’s auditorium is suspected of causing the carbon monoxide poisoning. Members of the Springfield Fire Department and a crew from Center Point Energy are checking the Springfield Community Center building to determine the source of the gas leak.

Article © AHN – All Rights Reserved
About the Author

Leave a Reply