DUBOIS – The 2013 DuBois Area Historical Society “Spirit of DuBois” Lantern Walk was the most successful event in society history. A record 352 people attended the walk, which focused on the 125th anniversary of the Great Fire of 1888.
HangHood Productions of DuBois recorded and produced a DVD of the walk. For its first program of 2014, the DuBois Area Historical Society will show the DVD at 7 p.m. Monday in the E.D. Reitz Museum, 30 W. Long Ave., DuBois. The showing is free and open to the public.
The viewer will revisit many characters who relate the story of the fire that destroyed most of the DuBois business district and the community’s quick revival. Also, they’ll see pre-walk interviews with the cast and historical society members.
Viewers will see interviews with those who attended the walk and other insider features. The showing is approximately one hour. Copies of the DVD will be available for sale that evening.
Upcoming events for the DuBois Area Historical Society include:
- Feb. 14-16 – There will be a fundraiser at Ruby Tuesday’s Restaurant, DuBois. You can get a voucher from any board member or print one from the society’s Web site.
- Feb. 19 – There will be a guest speaker, Galen Kilmer, on the “Camp Mountain Run Cooperative Trout Nursery,” at the E. D. Reitz Museum, 28-34 W. Long Ave., DuBois. It will begin at 7 p.m. and is free.
- March 15 – There will be a spring luncheon. The program is titled “Women in Service” and will be presented by Karen Aravich and others. It will begin at 12 p.m. at the DuBois Senior Center. Soup, salad, sandwich and dessert will be provided. The cost is $10 and reservations are due by March 4.
- April 23 – There will be a guest speaker, Mike Solensky, who will present the “History of Air Mail in DuBois,” at the E. D. Reitz Museum, 28-34 W. Long Ave., DuBois. It begins at 7 p.m. and is free.
- April 27 – There will be a fundraiser at Luigi’s Ristorante from 11 a.m. – 8 p.m. The society will receive a percentage of the day’s profits.
- May 10 – The sixth annual Spring Walk, led by Betty Anderson, will begin at 10 a.m. The spring walk is free, and the meeting place will be announced.
- Sept. 18 – The annual dinner will be held with speaker Dee Matthews. Its day, time, location and cost will be announced.
- Oct. 11 – The seventh annual Spirit of DuBois Lantern Walk will be held. Details will be announced.