Notre Dame’s leading scorer leaves basketball team due to academic issue

Fitzgerald Cecilio – 4E Sports Reporter

Notre Dame, IN, United States (4E Sports) – After losing to No. 2 Ohio State, Notre Dame suffered another blow when leading scorer Jerian Grant announced that he will not be enrolled next semester due to an academic issue.

Grant, a redshirt junior 6-5 guard, averaged 19 points and 6.2 assists this season. He had been on track to graduate this coming May before the academic issue.

In a statement, Grant said that he takes responsibility for his “lack of good judgment and the poor decision,” and that he has no one to blame but himself. Notre Dame students had final exams this past week.

“It’s official today,” coach Mike Brey said. “Today is the official end of the first semester, and I felt we needed to address it today. Jerian was treated like any other student, any other student-athlete.”

Brey and the rest of the Fighting Irish had known that Saturday would be their last game with Grant this season.

“The players were great with Grant after Saturday’s game. They love him and they’ll stay in touch with him,” Brey said.

In his statement, Grant said it was his “full intention” to return to Notre Dame, possibly as early as immediately following the spring 2014 semester.

While away from school, Brey wants Grant to get a job, and he thinks there are opportunities for work with DeMatha High School and D.C.’s Team Takeover, Grant’s former AAU program.

Meanwhile, the loss of Grant will deeply hurt Notre Dame (8-4), coming off a rather disappointing non-conference slate that featured no marquee wins. The Irish are about to enter their first season in the ACC without their leading scorer.

“It’s almost like practice No. 1 on Dec. 26,” Brey said.

Article © AHN – All Rights Reserved
About the Author

Leave a Reply