Tallahassee, FL, United States (4E Sports) – State Attorney William Meggs announced that Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston will not be charged after a thorough investigation into allegation that he raped a fellow student in 2012.
“We prosecute the cases that we have evidence on,” Meggs said. “Obviously it would have been somewhat better if we had been involved a little bit earlier.”
Winston had been under investigation since Nov. 13 in connection with the alleged Dec. 7, 2012 incident.
The case did not reach the desk of the Meggs until nearly 11 months after the alleged incident, and only then after media outlets made public records requests to view the case file from the Tallahassee police.
On Nov. 14, Winston submitted a DNA sample on Nov. 14, and that sample turned up positive a week later.
However, Meggs said laboratory work revealed that there were two male DNAs found from the victim.
“One was identified as being Winston’s DNA and the other was unknown. Had we proceeded to trial, having an unknown DNA in a sexual assault case would be a problem,” Meggs explained.
Winston’s camp earlier said they were not surprised by the results of the DNA test but said the interaction between his client and the alleged victim was “consensual.”
“That will be something that others will have to decide. Obviously it would have been better if it had been handled differently earlier,” Meggs answered when asked whether police did not handle the case properly.
Winston has led Florida State to the top of the Bowl Championship Series Standings and the No. 1 ranking in the Coaches Poll. He is also considered the top contender to win the Heisman trophy on Dec. 14.
Florida State is scheduled to leave Tallahassee on Thursday night for Charlotte, site of Saturday’s ACC Championship. Two days later, Heisman trophy ballots are due.