NV, United States (4E Sports) – After her competence and integrity took another hit due to what many considered the inept way she scored the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Canelo Alvarez fight Saturday, CJ Ross announced she will indefinitely take a break from boxing.
She sent an email to the Nevada Athletic Commission that read: “I will be taking some time off from boxing but will keep in touch.”
Ross scored the fight 114-114 while co-judges Craig Metcalfe (117-111) and Dave Moretti (116-112) had Mayweather the winner.
The 64-year-old judge was due to meet Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) chairman Bill Brady Tuesday to review her scorecard, in which she alone awarded Alvarez the first and eighth rounds.
Last year Ross had been involved in another scoring scandal when she and judge Duane Ford gave Timothy Bradley a split-decision victory despite overwhelming opinion that Manny Pacquiao had earned the win.
Ross has been a judge since 1989.
“To her credit, she does not want to take away from the story, being what a dominate performance by Floyd Mayweather. So, she has asked us if she can take some time off, we’ve agreed,” said NAC executive director Keith Kizer.
Brady said changes will be made to the process for selecting officials starting later this month when the commission will make assignments for the WBO welterweight title fight between Timothy Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez on 12 October.
He said that Kizer, who named Ross to the Mayweather-Alvarez judging panel, will be held accountable for his recommendations and that the NAC will not be a rubber stamp anymore.