The official Clearfield County 4-H horse show season started July 13 with the annual 4-H Horse & Pony Round-Up. Thirty-four 4-H members took part in the one-day event held at the Leonard O. Swisher Memorial Horse Arena at the Clearfield County Fairgrounds.
Each 4-H member who received first, second, or third place in their class (along with an appropriate score for some Western & Hunt Seat classes) qualified for the District VIII 4-H Horse Show. Rex DeGolier of Eldred served as the English & Western judge and Katie McAndrew of Brockway judged all trail classes.
At the end of the day, 31 4-H members, including Michaela Barber of Brookville, Cassidy Bastardi of Frenchville, Breanna Behrendt of Punxsutawney, Brooke Ell of DuBois, Cassandra Folmar of Luthersburg, Chelsea Folmar of Luthersburg, Anna Fowler of Coalport, Bradion Frantz of Reynoldsville, Dustan Frantz of Reynoldsville, Susie Fry of Duncansville, Melinda Hutchins of Reynoldsville, Kyrsten Kowalczyk of Flinton, Katelyn Matthews of Glasgow, Fran McAninch of DuBois, Alexis Mulhollen of Glasgow, Sydney Lumadue of Fallentimber, Alex Russell of Grampian, Katie Russell of Grampian, Alexandra Schultz of Clearfield, Gabrielle Schultz of Clearfield, Mercedes Shultz of Smithmill, Brooke Smeal of Coalport, Amber Sofronski of Irvona, Lindsey Swisher of Clearfield, Chance Timko of Clearfield, Lauren Turner of Philipsburg, Sydney Turner of Philipsburg, Kiersten Voccola of Brockport, Molly Wise of Brockway, Alexia Wood of Morrisdale, and Abigail Zeitler of Falls Creek, were eligible to move onto districts in at least one of 58 potential classes in the following divisions: Open, Western, Hunt Seat, Saddle Seat, Contest/Gaming, Driving, Miniature Horse and Therapeutic Riding.
The 2013 District VIII 4-H Horse Show was held Aug. 10-11 at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds in Brookville. It was judged by Jim Bower of Ruffs Dale and Kristina Dulashaw-Swank of Perry.
Twenty youth qualified with 27 horses and ponies for the 2013 Pennsylvania State 4-H Horse Show that will take place at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center in Harrisburg on Oct. 25-27.
The individuals qualified at either the 2013 Regional 4-H Horse Production Show in Huntingdon on Aug. 1 by receiving a first place blue merit or the 2013 District VIII 4-H Horse Show in Brookville on Aug. 10-11 by placing first or second in their class, and in some classes third place depending on the state quota. The 2013 Clearfield County 4-H state qualifiers include:
- Michaela Barber of Brockway in Western Grooming & Showmanship – Senior Rider with her horse, FP Zippos Image. She also qualified with her Palomino 3-year-old Gelding, Nvest N D Lite Buttr, and her Palomino Yearling Filly, Lucy’s Golden Legacy.
- Brooke Ell of DuBois in Pole Bending Ponies, Clover Leaf Barrel Race Ponies, & Raised Box Keyhole Ponies with her pony, Tayha.
- Cassandra Folmar of Luthersburg in Hunter Hack Horses with her horse, Joey.
- Chelsea Folmar of Luthersburg in Pleasure Horse Driving & Western Riding with her horse PSU Hollywood Kuel.
- Bradion Frantz of Luthersburg in Clover Leaf Barrel Race Ponies & Raised Box Keyhole Ponies with his pony, Tatiana Sasha
- Dustan Frantz of Reynoldsville in Clover Leaf Barrel Race Horses – Junior Rider with his horse, Sable.
- Susie Fry of Duncansville in Pole Bending Ponies with her pony, My Sweet Illusion.
- Alexes Hannold of Luthersburg with her Paint 3-year-old Filly, Hobby Chasin Cars.
- Kyrsten Kowalczyk of Flinton in Low Working Hunter Poines with her pony Ranger Justa Dune. She also qualified with her miniature horse 2-year-old Gelding, Maple Woods Struck By Design, and her Miniature Horse Filly of this year, Maple Woods Lil Miss Independence.
- Sydney Lumadue of Fallentimber in Raised Box Keyhole Horses – Junior Rider with her horse Rising Star Nocona. She also qualified with her miniature horse Filly of this Year, Maple Woods Twinkling Jewel, and her miniature horse 2-year-old Filly, Maple Woods Eternal Flame.
- Katelyn Matthews of Glasgow in Open Trail Horses – Senior Rider, English Grooming & Showmanship – Senior, Classic Hunter Under Saddle Horses – Senior Rider, Working Hunter Horses, & Hunt Seat Equitation Over Fences – Senior Rider with her horse, Mables Lad.
- Alex Russell of Grampian in Pole Bending Ponies with his pony, Booger.
- Katie Russell of Grampian in Pole Bending Horses – Senior Rider, Raised Box Keyhole Horses – Senior Rider, with her horse, Black Jack Drifter. She also qualified with her Quarter Horse 2-year-old Gelding, Doczigity in both halter & Western Pleasure 2-year-old Futurity.
- Alexandra Schultz of Clearfield in Hunt Seat Equitation on the Flat – Junior Rider with her, pony Romeo’s Juliette.
- Raylene Simmers of Fallentimber in miniature horse Yearling Fillies with Maple Woods Lil Cover Girl.
- Brooke Smeal of Coalport in Western Pleasure Ponies with her pony, I’m A Daydreamer.
- Amber Sofronski of Irvona in miniature horse 3-year-old Fillies with Maple Woods Hawks Secret Crush.
- Abigail Stanton of Ramey in miniature horse Filly of this year with Maple Woods Easter Bonnet.
- Lindsey Swisher of Clearfield in Western Horsemanship – Junior Rider with her horse, MM Catmando
- Molly Wise of Brockway in English Grooming & Showmanship – Junior, Classic Hunter Under Saddle Horses – Junior Rider, & Hunt Seat Equitation on the Flat – Junior Rider with her horse, Ima Classy Sonny.
The 4-H is a non-formal youth development educational program of Penn State Cooperative Extension for all youth between the ages of 5 and 19, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability or handicap, genetic information, national origin, race, religious creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status. For additional information on the 4-H program, contact Jana Lynne Davidson at Penn State Extension in Clearfield County at 814-765-7878 Ext. 3.