Man Sentenced to State Prison for Armed Robberies

Kevin Alan Bundy (Provided photo)

Kevin Alan Bundy (Provided photo)

CLEARFIELD – A 22-year-old Brockway man, Kevin Alan Bundy, was sentenced to a minimum of 10 years to a maximum of 30 years in state prison for three armed robberies in DuBois City and Sandy Township on Friday in Clearfield County Court.

Bundy and Michele A. Garvey, 24, also of Brockway, were charged for a pair of armed robberies at S&T Bank on West Scribner Avenue in DuBois and another at Cash For Gold in Sandy Township.  Both were charged for two thefts at Your Jewelry Box at the DuBois Mall. Bundy was also sentenced in these related theft cases.

According to the affidavit of probable cause, on Dec. 31, 2012, DuBois City police responded to the S&T Bank for the first armed robbery, where witnesses were visibly shaken and crying. They told police the robber was a Caucasian male between 5 feet, 5 inches and 5 feet, 7 inches tall. He had a thin build and was dressed in all black. He was wearing a black ski mask and carrying a black, handgun.

One employee said the robber pointed the gun at her and demanded for $50 and $100 bills. She was scared and gave him an unknown amount of cash from her drawer before he left the bank. The employees said they feared for their lives. Upon investigation it was determined the robber had fled with $900.

On Jan. 4, police responded to a second armed robbery at the bank. Upon arrival employees said the same man had robbed them. He pointed the gun directly at one employee and demanded she give him money. When she went to retrieve “bait money,” he fled the bank.

On Jan. 15, DuBois City police received a tip that Bundy might have committed the armed robberies. Police interviewed Garvey at the Jefferson County Jail the next day. She admitted to being involved with both armed robberies. She said she and Bundy went to the bank, where he parked and went inside. She moved to the driver’s side. He returned with cash and they fled the scene. After the second bank robbery, she said he came out running for them to flee the scene.

Bundy also admitted to the armed robberies at the S&T Bank. He said during the second robbery, he panicked, because he believed an employee had activated an alarm. He left with nothing. As a result, Bundy said they went to the Cash For Gold store. Afterward he damaged and then disposed of what he described as a toy gun that he’d used in the armed robberies.

According to the affidavit of probable cause in that case, Sandy Township police were dispatched to the store after a man was observed entering with a gun. Police interviewed an employee who was upset, because a man had brandished a gun and aimed it at her. He demanded money at which point she surrendered an envelope with approximately $1,000 in it.

In the first retail theft case at Your Jewelry Box on Jan. 11, Garvey distracted employees, so that Bundy could steal several yellow gold baby rings and a watch that were valued at $600 and $150, respectively. Employees discovered that additional merchandise had gone missing. This prompted them to review surveillance, which showed Bundy and Garvey in the store twice on Dec. 18 and on Dec. 22. Bundy stole jewelry, which he put in his pocket while Garvey distracted employees. The total amount stolen then was $4,554.75.

Bundy tendered a guilty plea last month; however, on April 11, he filed a motion of revocation wanting to withdraw his plea. Judge Paul E. Cherry addressed the motion prior to sentencing and told Bundy “first of all, you don’t order this court.” Bundy apologized and explained he had a 5-year-old child that he wanted to care for. Cherry told Bundy that he wasn’t thinking about his child when he committed these crimes.

Further, Cherry reminded Bundy that he’d been asked 25-30 questions when he was preparing to enter his guilty plea. Bundy admitted he’d advised the court to proceed with the plea agreement and sentencing process. He also admitted he understood his guilty plea could not be withdrawn upon its acceptance by the court and the cancellation of jury selection.

“Your jury selection was canceled and now you’re scheduled for sentencing,” said Cherry, who then denied Bundy’s motion for revocation.

First Assistant District Attorney Beau M. Grove told the court that the victims had been so traumatized by Bundy’s actions that they didn’t want to appear for the sentencing.  Bundy then apologized and his attorney told the court that Bundy would get the necessary help for his drug and alcohol problems while in state prison. He added, “I think after that he’ll be able to return to society, and I don’t think you’ll have any problems with him again.”

When asked by the judge, Bundy said he wasn’t thinking when he was committing these crimes. Cherry said, “Three times you weren’t thinking . . . You were pointing a gun in those ladies’ faces, scaring the daylights out of them. You’re dressed in black with your face covered. They don’t know what you’re going to do.

“I hope every day that you’re in state prison you think about the trauma you caused them.”

Fugitive Jarred David Peters Captured
Man Waives Hearing in Drug Case

Leave a Reply