DUBOIS – The DuBois Area Historical Society opens this year’s programs at 7 p.m. Feb. 21, with Tom Hockman presenting “Recollections of a DuBois Projectionist.”
The program will be held in the E.D. Reitz Museum, 30 W. Long Ave., DuBois and is free and open to the public. Hockman, who currently operates Hockman Candy in DuBois, will tell about his experiences during the 1970s when he worked as a movie projectionist at various theaters including the Avenue and Playhouse in DuBois and the DuBois Drive-In. He spent three years on the job and was the projectionist for the last movie shown at the Avenue Theater in July of 1978. One of the projectors he used to operate is part of a display in the DuBois Area Historical Society’s E. D. Reitz Museum.
This program will launch a busy year for the Society. Upcoming programs and activities include:
- March 9 – Luncheon at 12 p.m. at the DuBois Senior Center. Program, “Women’s Contribution to Local History.” Cost for the luncheon, which will include Italian Wedding Soup from Luigi’s Ristorante and sandwiches from Subway, is $10. Reservations are due by March1.
- April 14 – Luigi’s Ristorante in DuBois has agreed to host a DuBois Area Historical Society fundraiser, 11 a.m.- 8 p.m. Luigi’s will donate a percentage of the day’s profits to the society.
- April 16 – Galen Kilmer, “DuBois Area High School Local History Projects,” 7 p.m., E.D. Reitz Museum, 30 W. Long Ave., DuBois. Free and open to the public.
- May 22 – Fundraiser with Italian Oven, DuBois.
- May 18 – Fifth Annual Spring Walk, Helvetia, led by Bill Allenbaugh, beginning at 10 a.m.
- June 12-14 – Fundraiser with Pizza Hut, DuBois.
- July 19-21 – Fundraiser with Ruby Tuesday, DuBois.
- Aug. 23 – Fundraiser with Hoss’s Steak and Sea House, DuBois.
Fall will bring more programs still in the planning stages including:
- September – The 31st Annual DuBois Area Historical Society Dinner; location, time and menu to be announced. The guest speaker is Paul Sekula, who will talk about “Historical Signs.”
- October – Sixth Annual Spirit of DuBois Lantern Walk, “125th Anniversary of the Great Fire of 1888.” Tentatively scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 12, further details will be announced later.
- Oct. 18 – Fundraiser with Italian Oven, DuBois.
- Nov. 15-17 – Fundraiser with Ruby Tuesday, DuBois.
- Dec. 19 – Fundraiser with Hoss’s Steak and Sea House, DuBois.